Chapter 26

You made it back to the group putting gas in the cars and making a plan. You drove for about half an hour when you spotted a house in the woods. You tapped Daryl on the shoulder pointing towards the cabin so he pulled over everyone else doing the same. You get off the bike walking towards Rick. "There's a house, maybe we can make camp in for the night if it's clear." You told him. "Alright let's go check it out. T, you stay here to keep watch Maggie, Glenn comes with us." The five of you headed through the woods taking the path that leads to the cabin. "Maggie and Glenn and I will check the outside, you and Y/N check the inside," Rick said.

  You and Daryl went to the front door of the cabin. Daryl went up the 4 steps to a deck that led to the door. You stood at the bottom with your machete ready since you didn't have a silencer for your gun, you didn't want to use it and you were low on ammo. "Ready?" Daryl asked you nodded and he swung the door open but nothing came out. Daryl banged on the door frame and you listened but still, nothing came out. You walked up the steps and through the door after Daryl. Walking into a kitchen seeing a door leading to a basement. You walked through the kitchen into a living room seeing a door that led to what looked like it was used as a study but found nothing. "You think they could be stuck somewhere upstairs?" You asked "Could become one we'll start upstairs and work our way down to the basement." He told you.

  You walked up the staircase and saw there was a room on the left and two rooms on the right with a bathroom at the end of the hall and another room around the corner with a door leading to an attic. All the doors to the rooms and bathrooms were open. You went over to the attic door banging on it. You waited a few minutes before banging on it again. When you didn't hear anything you opened the door and slowly walked up the stairs. You and Daryl turned on your flashlights looking around but there was nothing but old junk. You headed downstairs through the living room and into the kitchen to the basement door. You repeated the process banging on the door and waiting first before opening the door and walking down the steps. Once you got to the bottom there was a room to the right that had a washer and dryer and a bunch of jars on shelves to the left leading to another door. Once you checked to make sure there were no walkers you went to the last door. You knocked and waited but got nothing. You opened the door to find an empty garage. "Guess whoever lived here got out early." You said.

  You walked back upstairs and to the front door meeting Rick, Glenn, and Maggie. "Everything's clear inside. Whoever lived here musta got out early." Daryl said. "Yeah, everything is clear outside. Let's go get everyone else." Rick said. You started walking back up the path to the road to let the rest of the group know that everything was clear. You got on the back of Daryl's bike and drove down the path with the others following. Everyone got out of the cars and walked up the steps onto the deck. Once everyone was there you walked in. "Everything's clear?" Lori asked. "Yes. We checked everything." You told her. No one wanted to be alone so you all set up in the living room.

  "I'll do first watch, T you're with me. Maggie and Glenn will take the second watch and Y/N and Daryl take third." Rick instructed. You and Daryl took up a place in the corner. Daryl sat down gesturing for you to sit down with him. You sat down laying your head on his chest. Daryl kissed the top of your head saying "get some sleep." "You too." You told him looking up at him kissing him. "Mmmhmm " he hummed. You closed your eyes and fell asleep right away. The next thing you know someone is shaking you. "Y/N wakes up. It's our turn to keep watch" Daryl said. "Okay." You mumbled slowly, opening your eyes and standing up stretching.

  You and Daryl walked outside into the deck. "You think we could stay here for a while?"  You asked out of the blue. Daryl looked at you shrugging his shoulders "I don't know Y/N/N. That herd will eventually catch up to  us." "Yeah, I guess. I'm just trying to think of Lori. She's going to need a place to have the baby when it comes to that time."  "That's like 8 months from now." "Yeah I know but still she can't have the baby while we're in the road. We need to find a place."

----------------TIME SKIP-----------------

  It's been 8 months since you found that house hidden in the woods. You've been jumping from place to place, staying out in the open when you couldn't find a house or some kind of building to stay in. Lori was almost due and you haven't found a place you could stay permanently. You had pulled over so you could see where you were and where you haven't been yet.  You spread a map out on top of one of the cars' hoods and gathered around.

  "We've got no place left to go," T said. "When this herd meets up with this one, we'll be cut off, we'll never make it south," Maggie says pointing at the map.  "What do you say, it's about 150 head?" Daryl asked. Glenn looks at him and says  "That was last week, could be twice that now." Pointing at the map Hershel says "This river could have delayed them. If we move fast, we might have a shot to tear right through this."  "Yeah, but if this group joins with that one, they could spill out this way." You told him. "So we're blocked," Maggie asked. "Only thing to do is double back at 27th and swing towards Greenville," Rick says. "We picked through that already, it's like we spent the winter going in circles," T said. "Yeah, I know. I know. At Newnan, we'll push west. I haven't been through the area. We can't keep going house to house. He looks at Lori in the car. We need to find someplace to hold up for a few weeks." Rick tells him. T-Dog nodded asking "Alright. Is it cool if we get to the creek before we head out? It won't take long. We gotta fill up on water, we can boil it"

  You and Daryl stood to the side waiting for Rick and Hershel to stop talking. Rick walked over to the both of you. "Hey, while everyone's washing their panties let's go hunt." Daryl said, "Yeah that owl didn't exactly hit the spot." You said. You, Daryl and Rick, walked into the woods. You were following a set of old railroad tracks talking. "Think we'll find a place that we can stay longer than a night?" You asked. Rick stopped "yeah, Yeah and I think we just found it." You turned to see what he was looking at. "The prison? It looks like it fell early on with all those walkers" "That's a damn shame." Daryl said, "Let's get back to the others." Rick said.