Chapter 97

Chapter 97

  You, Daryl, and Denise eventually met up with Rosita who was sitting at the railroad crossing for you. She stood up when she saw you coming. "Bout time," she said walking over to you. Daryl just tightened his grip on your hand and kept walking. You gave her a look that said sorry. She and Denise walking behind you. You knew why Daryl didn't want to follow the tracks. The last time you followed tracks you and your group were almost killed by cannibals. "Hey," you said nudging Daryl. He looked down at you "You alright?" You asked. "Mmmhmm," he hummed. 'Don't be too hard on her she was there too," you said. And he just looked at you.

  You could hear Denise ask Rosita where she learned to fight. "Who taught you? You know, how to fight?" Denise asked but got nothing. "Sorry, I didn't mean to bring up..." she started to say. "A lot of people taught me a lot of things. Years from now, he'll just be a name in a long list of names,' Rosita told her. You put your free hand on Daryls arm and leaned your head on his arm while you walked down the road. He looked over smiling the tiniest bit and kisses the top of your head making you smile.

  You finally get to the apothecary where Denise said there should d be medicine. You walked over to the storefront that said Edison and Daryl walked over knocked on the glass door that had old dirty bloody handprints all over it and waited to see if any walkers came to it"All right, I and these two are gonna do this. You're gonna stay back, got it?" Daryl said to Denise. She nodded her head and said yeah. You and Rosita got ready with your rifles raised to your shoulders and Daryl pulled out a crowbar and pried the door open. Daryl raised his rifle and opened the door the four of you walking in. Denise started to gag and you looked at her for a seconds before looking around again. "We gonna find out what you had for breakfast?" Daryl said. "Oatmeal. Just so you know." She said.

  You walked after Daryl looking around and spitting the pharmacy "Hey," you said and nodded your head towards it. Daryl took the crowbar and shoved it up under the metal roll-down door and started to pry it open. "You want me to hold your bags, or...? Yeah." You heard Denise but you all ignored it. Once he got it open you, Rosita and he jumped over the counter. "If you set 'em on the counter, I can tell you which," she said. "No, we're gonna take it all," you told her. "Are you sure? Because--" she started. "No, it's fine," Rosita said. "It'll be easier. We can go through them when we get back," you said and started putting as many pill bottles as you could in your bag. You heard a thud and you looked around but didn't see anything  "It's just one," Rosita said. "It sounds like it's stuck," Daryl says.

You were busy gathering up the medicine when you heard glass shatter. 'What the hell are you doing?" You asked seeing Denise. "Nothing," she said and ran outside. You finished gathering all the bottles and went outside to find Denise sitting up against the building. "Hey. You did good finding this place," Daryl told her. She nodded and got up. "Tried to tell you you weren't ready. We all three did," Rosita said. "I know," she said quietly and the three of you headed back the way you came.

  You were walking down the road walking with Daryl and Denise. "So was he older or younger?" Daryl asked her. "Older. By six minutes. My parents came up with the Dennis/Denise thing on one of their benders. Hilarious, right? Nothing scared him. He was brave. He was angry, too. It's kind of a dangerous combination," she said. "Sounds like we had the same brother," Daryl told her. You came to the railroad crossing and Daryl started walking the tracks "Hey," Rosita said. "This way's faster, right?" Daryl said to her and you took the tracks this time.

You came to a couple of cars parked beside the tracks a walker in one of them "There's a cooler in there! Might be something we can use inside," Denise said. "We got what we came for," you told her. "Nah, ain't worth the trouble, come on," Daryl told her. The walker pounds on the window growling and grunts coming from it. Denise didn't listen and opened the door trying to get the cooler but the walker jumped at her and she fell with the walker on top of her.l but she flipped it and sat on top of it. "shit," you said and you ran over to her. "No, don't," she said and stabbed it in the head. Standing up she bent over and threw up.

  "Oh, man. I threw up on my glasses," she said picking them up and then walked over to the cooler, opening it and pulling out a can of orange crush soda. "Hot damn," she said. "What the hell was that? You could've died right there, you know that?" Daryl said. "Yeah, I do," she told you. "Are you hearing me?" He said. "Who gives a shit? You could've died killing those Saviors, all of you, but you didn't. You wanna live, you take chances. That's how it works. That's what I did," she said to you. "For a couple of damn sodas?" You said. "Nope. Just this one," she said walking past the three of you. "Are you seriously that stupid? Are you? I mean it. Are you?" You said walking after her back up on the tracks. "Do you have any clue what that was to me, what this whole thing is to me? See, I have training in this shit. I'm not making it up as I go along, like with the stitches and the surgery and the... I asked you to come with me because you're brave like my brother and sometimes you actually make me feel safe. And I wanted you here because you're alone. Probably for the first time in your life. And because you're stronger than you think you are, and you because you help me be more confident in myself about being a doctor and you're brave and strong and independent which gives me hope that maybe I can be, too." She said.

   "I could've gone with Tara. I could've told her I loved her, but I didn't because I was afraid. That's what's stupid. Not coming out here, not facing my shit. And it makes me sick that you guys aren't even trying because you're strong and you're smart and you're all three really good people, and if you don't wake..." She was saying when an arrow was shot through her eye. "up... and face your... " she said before falling over as Daryl grabbed her and laid her on the ground. Your eyes widened and the three of you brought your guns up looking around. A bunch of men came out of the trees on the other side of the tracks. "You drop 'em now!" You heard. You and Daryl looking over to see the blonde man Dewight that you saved in the burnt forest his left side of his face scarred from burns now and he was holding Eugene hostage. Daryl pushed you behind him slightly and you grabbed Ahold of his arm. "Well, hell," Dewight said when he saw you and Daryl.