Chapter 17

Daryl took you back to your shared tent making sure you didn't go back after Shane. "Stay here, cool down." He told you. "I'm sorry. He just pissed me off so bad. He's crazy Daryl. Jealous he can't have Lori." " It's fine. Pretty fucking hot." Daryl said, smirking. He wanted to see that smile and hear that laugh. You tried not to smile but you couldn't help it. "Shut up." You said chuckling. "I'm gonna go out to look for Sophia." "What? No! Daryl, you can't do that. You'll pop those stitches. You need to rest." You had authority in your voice. You never told anyone what you did before the world ended, just said you worked in the city. You didn't say where in the city or what your job was. The truth was you worked at the hospital as a registered nurse. You didn't want to say anything to anyone, not wanting that to be your only job in the group and being treated like you couldn't do anything or protect yourself. "I'm fine. I'll be back before dark." Daryl said and he left before you could say another word.

  Daryl walked down to the stables after asking which horse he could borrow. As he was getting the horse ready he noticed Carol walking in. "You can't." She told him. "I'm fine."  "Hershel said you need to heal." He was getting irritated and tired of being told what to do. "Yeah, I don't care." "Well, I do. Rick's going out later to follow the trail." "Yeah well, I ain't gonna sit around and do nothing." He spat at her. "No, you're gonna go out there and get yourself hurt even worse. We don't know if we're gonna find her, Daryl. We don't. I don't." Carol told him which just pissed him off even more. "What?" "Can't lose you too." She whispered. Daryl tried throwing the saddle pissed off but when he did it hurt his side. "Are you all right?" Carol asked worriedly trying to help him. But Daryl pushed her away and snapped at her. "Just leave me be." He started to walk out of the stable saying  "Stupid bitch."

   You were walking down to the stables when you saw Carol walking up tears running down her cheeks. You stopped her saying "Hey what's wrong?" "Daryl was trying to get one of the horses ready to go out looking for Sophia and I told him he shouldn't because of him being hurt then I told him... I told him I'm not sure Sophia is even alive anymore. He got mad yelling at me am d calling me a stupid bitch before walking off." She told you. You hugged her and pissed off Daryl would say that to her. "I'll find him and have a talk with him.

  You found Daryl in your tent. Daryl looked up at you as you walked in the tent. "Hey, I was wondering where you went off to." He said. "Follow me." "Why? What's wrong? You okay?." "I'm fine. I just want to talk to you away from everyone." You both walked out of the tent and you led the way. You walked to the pond, walking down the deck, taking your shoes off and sitting down sticking your feet in the water. "Come on sit down."  Daryl took his boots off sitting beside you. " I saw Carol crying. She told me what you said to her." "I'm sorry. I got pissed when she told me about Sophia saying she doesn't think she's alive. I'm also sick of people telling me to rest." "I know Daryl but you gotta understand she upset and scared and she's worried about you, so are the rest of us." He was silent and had his head down. "I'll apologize to her when I see her." Just as he said that you heard footsteps on the deck seeing it was Carol. "Now's your chance."

  Daryl stood up and walked over to Carol taking and walking her over where he'd seen some Cherokee roses. "You see it?" He said, "See what?" Carol asked. "I'll find her," Daryl said, pointing to the flowers. "Hey, I'm sorry about what happened this morning." He said."You wanted to look for her. Why? This whole time I've wanted to ask you." She said, "'Cause I think she's still out there. Truth is, what else do I have to do?" Daryl admitted. "We'll find her. We will. I see it." Carol told him, smiling. You stood there watching them smiling to yourself.

  You and Daryl were walking back when you saw everyone standing by the house. You heard "We were supposed to leave a couple of hours ago."  "Yeah, you were. What the hell?" Daryl said as you both walked closer.  "Rick told us he was going out." "Damn it. Isn't anybody taking this seriously?  We got us a damn trail. Oh, here we go. What's all this?" Daryl said "You with me, man?" Shane said, handing Daryl a gun. "Yeah." He said taking the gun from him. "Time to grow up," Shane said. "You already got yours?" He asked Andrea. "Yeah. Where's Dale?" She asked, "He's on his way." "Thought we couldn't carry," T-Dog said. "We can't." You said. "We can and we have to," Shane said, handing you your gun.  "Look, it was one thing sitting around here picking daisies when we thought this place was supposed to be safe. But now we know it ain't. How about you, man? You're gonna protect yours?" Shane said as he handed Glenn a gun. "That's it," Maggie said, coming down the steps. "Can you shoot?" "Can you stop? You do this, you hand out these guns, my dad will make you leave tonight." Maggie told Shane. "We have to stay, Shane." Carl said, "What is this?" Lori said "We ain't going anywhere, okay? Now look, Hershel, he's just gotta understand. Okay? He... Well, he's gonna have to. Now we need to find Sophia. Am I right? Huh? Now I want you to take this. You take it, Carl, and you keep your mother safe. You do whatever it takes. You know-how. Go on, take the gun and do it." Shane said, kneeling down in front of Carl. "Rick said no guns. This is not your call. This is not your decision to make." Lori told Shane as she pushed Carl behind her and took the gun from him. "Oh shit!" You heard T-Dog say. Looking to see what he was talking about, you saw Rick, Hershel, and Jimmy with walkers on lead poles.