Chapter 64

Daryl turned around looking at you. You were breathing heavily and your eyes were wide just staring out the window at the hospital. He knew you worked at one of the hospitals in the city but didn't know which one. He was starting to wonder if maybe it was Grady Memorial Hospital just by the way you looked at it. He could see the fear in your eyes. He couldn't imagine all the horror you must have seen that day. He walked over to you cupping your chin in his hand and turning your head to look up at him. You looked up at him with those big beautiful E/C eyes but instead the glimmer of happiness he usually saw was replaced with fear.

  "Ya alright?" He asked and you just nodded your head and looked away. After a couple minutes you spoke "Yeah. Yeah I'm fine. Sorry just got stuck in my thoughts," you told him. He chewed on his lip and nodded, leaning down kissing yhour forehead. He didn't want to push you to talk about anything. If you wanted to you would. You did the same with him. Never forcing him to talk when he didn't want to. He turned back to look out the window letting you know your thoughts.

  "You said I wasn't like how I was before" he said looking at Carol leaning his one hand against the window and his other curled around the machete. "Yeah," Carol said. "How was I?" He asked her. He was curious because to him he was still the same nobody redneck. "It's like you were a kid. Now you're a man." Carol told him. Daryl just looked out the window processing what she said. "What about you?" He asked her. She looked at him then down at the chip she was fiddling with.  She brushed her hands off saying "Me and Sophia stayed at that shelter for a day and a half. Before I went running back to Ed. I went home and I got beat up. Life went on and I just kept praying for something to happen. But I didn't do anything. Not a damn thing." She told him. Daryl looked at her then looked down at the floor.

  "Who I was with him, she got burned away. And I was happy about that. I mean not happy but at the prison I got to be who I always wanted to be, who I thought I should've been. Then she got burnt away. Everything now just consumes you." Carol said. "Hey. We ain't ashes" Daryl told her looking at her.

  You heard a banging coming from in the building You stood up, Daryl turning and looking behind him towards the sound. Daryl grabbed his bag and you and Carol followed him as you walked down the hall. As you got closer you heard snarling and walked around the corner to see a walker pinned to the wall with an arrow in its neck. "Is it yours?" Carol asked. "Yeah" Daryl responded and took the machete, sinking it in the walker's head, it going all the way down the side of its face like a hot knife going through cold frozen butter. Daryl pulled his arrow out of its neck and the walker slid down the wall.

  You heard rapid fire further down the hall and you took off after it. You turned the corner to see the kid that took your weapons struggling with a walker. He pushed it off of him and it came towards Carol and fell on top of her, Daryl came over and sliced the machete through its head. Pulling it off Carol. The kid looked at you and took off. "Hey!" You yelled and took off after him. "Y/N!" You heard Daryl yelling your name but you kept going. "I'm good go" Carol told Daryl and he took off after you and the kid. You found the kid struggling to move a bookcase. "Hey!" You said scaring him. Daryl ran past you and slammed the kid into the book case. Both of them fell to the ground. The book case came falling down on top of the poor kid, Daryl getting up and picking his bag and crossbow up. There was a walker trying to squeeze through the door.

"Plea-- please. I had to protect myself." The kid said, struggling under the weight of the book case. "Why are you following us?" Daryl growled. "I-I didn't, I swear! I thought you followed me." He said. "Bullshit." You said walking over to the bookcase.  The walker continued snarling at you trying to get through the door. Daryl put his crossbow down and picked up a box of cigarettes and took a pack out and through the box. "Come on, man. Plea-- please! Please, please." The kid pleaded. Daryl opened the pack of cigarettes and took one out. "Nah, I already helped you once. It ain't happening' again," He said, lighting the cigarette up. "Have fun with Hoss over there." Daryl said and started walking away. You just stood there and then turned but felt a hand on your ankle. "No. No, no, no. No. No, no, no! Please! Please! Please! I'm sorry, please! Please! Please, please!" He said looking up at you.  "Daryl." You said but he didnt stop. "Daryl. Stop." Carol said.

   He stopped and turned around looking at her "You almost died 'because of him!" He yelled. "But I didn't." She told him. "Nah, let him be." He said. Daryl didn't notice that the kid had a hold of your ankle. "I'm sorry. Please, I'm sorry!" The kid pleaded. You felt bad and didn't want to leave him. "Daryl!" You yelled as the walker finally got through and fell on the bookcase and arrow went through it as Daryl turned around looking at you down at the kid finally realizing he had a hold of you. "Best get yer hands off her!" He growled. The kid let go of you and he came over and you began lifting the book case up. "Come on, just a little more."  You said. "Oh, thank you. Thank you. Thank you." The kid said and limped over to the window.

  "You okay?" He asked you and you looked at him and nodded. Daryl went over to carol "You okay?" He asked her. "I'm still here." She told him. "I gotta go. I gotta go. They're gonna come. They probably heard the shot. If they find me..." the kid started panicking. "Who?" You asked. "Them, people at the hospital." He said. "Wait, wait, wait, just tell us-- is there a blonde girl there? You see a blonde girl?" Daryl said, stopping him. "Beth?" He asked. "You know her?" You asked. "She helped me get out, but she's still there." He said. "They're coming." Carol said from the window. "We gotta go now. We gotta go. We gotta go." The kid said.

   You ran down the stairs and came out on the main floor that was Black and shiny with trash all over the place. "The building next door has a basement. It's clear. We'll be safe." The kid said running as best he could down the hall. "Ah! Ah!" The kid yelled flung to the ground. You stopped kneeling down beside him. "Hey. What's wrong? I can help you" you told him. "Go, I got him." He told Carol so she started running. "Come on, get up. Get up." Daryl growled at him.  The kid groaned getting up "Okay." He said. You got up And were  about to go out the door when a car came flying by hitting Carol, the tires screeching. "No, no, no!" You said trying to go after her "Wait, wait, wait! Grab her!" The kid said and Daryl grabbed you pulling you back. "Let go of me!" You said. "Wait! They can help her. They're the only ones who can. They have medicine, machines, a doctor. You go out there, you'll have to kill them, okay? And then she can't get their help. Is that what you want?" The kid asked you. "I'm a fucking nurse! I can help her" you yelled struggling.  "We can get her back. We can get Beth back." He said and you stopped letting Daryl turn you around and hold you to his chest. "What's it gonna take?" Daryl asked the kid. "A lot. They got guns, people." He told Daryl. "So do we." Daryl said.