Chapter 96

Chapter 96

  The next day you all went on with your normal routine. Shift changes and runs. Morgan was building a cell in the one house in the basement. Carol just sat on the swing on the porch of tobins where she was now staying. Rosita was sleeping with Spencer ever since Abraham dumped her for Sasha. Things weren't the best but they never were, to begin with.

  You woke up to an empty bed. Daryl had gotten up and gone outside you had guessed so you got up and got a quick shower, got dressed in your normal jeans, tank, flannel and put your jacket over it, then your boots and went out to find him.

  You spotted him kneeling by his bike at the bottom of the stairs looking through something. "Hey baby," you said. He looked up at you "hey," he said then looked back at the small black bag he had in his hands. "What's that?" You asked and sat down beside him. He unzipped it and pulled out a wooden soldier and throw the bag on the ground. "Wow, that's hand made," you said. Daryl just looked at it not saying anything. He throws it on the ground and started looking at his bike again. "Baby, are you alright?" You asked him. "Mmhmm," he hummed.

  "Didn't even notice you got your bike back," you heard and seen Carol walking over to the two of you. Carol sat down beside you and Daryl turned to look at her "yeah," he said in his deep gravely voice.  He got up pulling you up the sitting beside Carol and pulled up down to sit in between his legs. "You got another one of those?" He asked Carol pointing to the cigarette in her hand. She reached into her pocket pulling out a pack and handed it to him. Daryl took one out and lite it up and pulled you to lean back against his chest, taking a drag then kissing the top of your head.

  'Those people you met, the ones in the burnt forest, they took it from you?" Carol asked. "Yeah," Daryl replied. He took another drag and blew it out. "You saved them right?" Carol asked. Daryl kicked over his bottom lip and looked ahead not saying anything. "Sorry," Carol said looking away. You reached up and grabbed Daryls hand and squeezed it. "It's who you are. We're still stuck with that," Carol said. "No, we ain't. I should've killed them," Daryl told her. Carol was silent for a little before getting up and putting the pack of cigarettes beside Daryl and started to walk away. "Hey. The ones that took you, Y/N and Maggie... what'd they do to you?" Daryl asked and he felt you stiffen. Carol looked at you and then back at Daryl "To us? They didn't do anything," she said and walked off.

  You stood up and went to walk back inside when Daryl stood and grabbed your wrist. "Hey. What they do?" He said. "Like Carol said they didn't do anything to us. You killed them. I shot a girl in the head point-blank and didn't blink an eye. I watched women get her face eaten off by a walker felt no pitty, I set two men on fire felt nothing no regret, no sadness, just relief," you said and kissed his cheek walking back inside.

  Later on, you were with Daryl when Rosita and Denise came up to you both. "Hey. What's up?" You asked. Denise handed Daryl a map and you both looked at it. There was a place circled on it. "After I got out of DC, I just drove. I remember seeing it right when I realized I had no idea where I was going. Edison's Apothecary and Boutique. It's just this little gift shop in a strip mall, but if it's really an apothecary, they had drugs," she said. "How do you know they still got 'em?" Daryl asked. "It isn't that far. I just wanna check. And you, Y/N and Rosita aren't out scavenging or pulling shifts," she said. 'We'll go," Daryl told her. "I wanted to check. I just wanted to help,' she said. "How much time you spend out there?" You asked her. "None,' she told you. "Forget it," you and Daryl said. "I can ID the meds," she told you. "I know how to ID the meds too plus I've been out there before," you said. "I know how to use a machete now. I've seen roamers up close. I'm ready," she said.  "You good with this?" Daryl asked you and Rosita. "No" you both said. "I'll go alone if I have to," Denise said. "You'll die alone," Daryl told her. "I'm asking you to make sure I don't," she told you. You and Daryl looked at Rosita "I'm not babysitting her by myself," she said.

  You sighed and the four of you crammed into a truck. Daryl was driving and doing a horrible job at shifting as he ground the gears. The gear shift was between your legs so it didn't help any. You kept wanting to make corny dirty jokes about It but didn't. "It-- the..." Denise started. "What?" Daryl said. "Forget it." She said and Daryl continued to grind the gears. "No, what?" He said. "I think maybe you're disengaging it too soon. I've been driving stick since I was 15, usually beat-up trucks like this. I mean, before-- you know, before I left home. My brother taught me, so I just know." She told him. "Daryl," you said looking ahead. "Yep," he said and rolled the truck to a stop.

  In front of you was a tree that lay across the road blocking your way. "Stay here." You told Denis and you, Daryl and Rosita got out walking over to the tree. Rosita moved one of the branches to see a walker "I got it. This happened fast. Tree rotted out. It wasn't people," she said and pulled her machete killing it she pulled a bag out and you walked over opening the door to the truck "Come on, it's clear," you said to Denise. Daryl pulled the bags out of the back of the truck. "What'd you find?" You asked Rosita. "Bottles of booze. Any takers?" She said. "No, thanks," Denise said. "For later. I'm not bringing these to the pantry," Rosita said. "I'm good. They were kind of my parents' thing. Which is why they aren't mine," Denise said. Daryl hand you and Rosita the bags "That truck ain't gonna make it past this tree. Come on, let's walk," he said and headed for the woods. "Hold up. Looks like a straight shot if we follow the tracks," Denise said. "No. No tracks. We'll take the road," he told her. "That's twice as far," Rosita said. "Go whichever way you like. I ain't taking no tracks," he said grabbing your hand and walking towards the woods. "We should stick together," Denise said to Rosita and followed you and Daryl while Rosita took the tracks.