Chapter 5: A Duel on Equal Grounds, Encountering Dante

Y/N POV

I continued to make my way through the Temen-Ni-Gru, cutting down any Demon that happened to cross my path. I hadn't encountered Jester or that mysterious woman again, nor had I come any closer to finding the answers I was seeking.

Nevertheless, I pressed on, hoping I would eventually find something that could be of use to me. This eventually lead me into a large open room in which I heard a familiar ringing sound followed by a red magical barrier appearing.

I knew if I wanted to get any further I would need to destroy all the Demons present. So without hesitation, I got to work. First I stabbed one of the lesser demons before spinning around and slashing another at the waistline causing it to fall in half on the ground.

An Enigma demon tried to fire several arrows at me however I leapt into the air, drew Cinder and swiftly opened fire on its eye. Killing it in only a matter of a few shots. I landed back on the ground and turned to face the others.

There were two of those demons I mentioned before with the large coffins. They quickly thrust said coffins into the ground and began generating more demons. They became my next priority and I wasted no time dashing behind one of them and swiftly cutting right through it.

The other one met the same fate and I then proceeded to deal with each of the other demons in the room and sure enough, the barrier blocking the next room disappeared in a flash of red light, briefly taking the shape of a hand.

I stepped through the door and found myself at another door, higher up that large spiral staircase. I growled a bit to myself before ascending even higher, if my hopes were correct, if I was to travel to the top of the Temen-Ni-Gru, I would find the answers about my past that Arkham promised.

There was yet another door higher up these stairs and it was just the same exact procedure. Another staircase with more demons that lead into a large open chamber, however this time, something happened.

I was once again surrounded by Demons, drawing Eclipse and preparing to engage them all in battle when suddenly, out of  nowhere, a mysterious slash, cut through one of the demons and killed it instantly.

This was then followed up by rapid gunshots that killed even more of the demons. Looking up, I saw the silhouette of a man in a long coat, clutching a sword. He leapt down and began cutting through the demons just as easily as I would have.

Once all the demons were dealt with, the man spoke in a joking tone "Wow, you must know what you're doing to be attacked by this many demons." I turned to face him and began to take in his features, he was about a year older than me had white hair, wore a red coat that exposed his muscular chest and held a strange blade in his hands. Though something about him seemed familiar.

I was cut off from my thoughts by asking "So, want to tell me who you are and why you're here?" I looked at him and responded seriously "My name is Y/N. My reason for being here is none of your business. And who are you?" 

To this the man replied "Dante." I came here because some demons attacked me and I think my asshole brother may have something to do with it." He then raised his sword yet again and pointed it at me.

Image of Dante:

I instantly pointed mine back at him and he smirked saying "Wow, look at how alike we think

I instantly pointed mine back at him and he smirked saying "Wow, look at how alike we think." I just let out a faint "Hmm." We slowly began stepping around one another, all the while keeping out blades on one another.

Eventually I spoke saying "Look, it's been fun 'Dante' but I have places to be." In response Dante just laughed before saying "Oh no, I want to know why someone like you is out here. I'm not going to let you leave until you tell me."

I kept my sword aimed at him and said "In that case, prepare for battle." And with that, our fight began. Instantly we clashed blades, and I'm pretty sure red and purple sparks emitted from said clash.

Dante commented "Nice blade Y/N. Looks pretty demonic don't you think?" I responded "I could say the same to you." We separated before leaping away from one another, he pulled out two handguns and fired rapidly at me while I shot back with Cinder.

Upon landing back on our feet we dashed back towards one another, we clashed blades multiple times, stabbing and slashing at one another though it was obvious that neither of us intended to kill one another.

Eventually we clashed once again, however this time we passed each other and landed so that we were standing back to back. We quickly spun  around and aimed our respective firearms at one another.

I smirked and said "Not bad Dante, not bad." Dante grinned and said "Yeah, this fight was actually enjoyable." We lowered our guns and just fell into silence for a moment, I eventually said "I suppose I should explain to you why I'm here."

Dante looked interested as I explained "There isn't really much to tell. A bald man approached me and said he had information that would 'explain my past' whatever that meant. He lead me to this place."

This caused Dante to step forward and ask "Did this bald man happen to have a burn on his face?" I nodded and he then said "That might be the same guy who brought me here as well." I thought for a moment before saying "I think something more is going on here than we think."

I then began walking off saying "We should split up, go our separate ways. Farewell." As I began walking I was suddenly interrupted by Dante calling out "Hey Y/N!" I stopped and turned my head to give him a sidewise glance.

Dante began "I've just started a Devil Hunting business, it doesn't have a name yet, but you seem like a cool fighter-" I cut him off saying "I appreciate the offer Dante. But I'll have to think about it." I didn't say another word as I continued into the tower alone...

Dante POV

I stood there looking at where this 'Y/N' once stood. There was something strange about him. I mean, he said he was called here by the same man that approached me. But there was something else, something familiar...

I feel I had seen him before once...

Author's Note: That's this chapter finished. I want to apologise for the even later update tonight, I encountered an error with the images not loading in and had to wait for that to fix itself. I don't know if it's actually fixed for good though, so please bare with me on that. Either way, I hope you enjoyed the chapter and as always, thank you for reading.