Chapter 78: The Vicar's Final Test

Y/N POV

"Well, it seems my first test was too easy for you. I'm impressed." Came a calm yet menacing voce. Both me and Lady looked up towards the source of said voice and noticed a man standing on the upper balcony of the room, looking down on us.

I immediately recognized the man as the one from the portrait back in Fortuna Castle and judging both from his attire, as well as the manner in which he held himself, it was blatantly obvious that he was the Order of the Sword's leader.

Both our eyes narrowed as I asked the man "So, you're the one in charge around here?" A smirk spread across the elderly man's face as he replied "I prefer terms such as 'High Priest', 'Vicar' or 'His Holiness'. But you're right. My name is Sanctus and I am indeed in charge of the Order of the Sword."

Image of Sanctus:

Despite his tone and wording both sounding calm, I clearly could hear some venom behind them

Despite his tone and wording both sounding calm, I clearly could hear some venom behind them. Even the way he listed off his preferred titles sounded vain and self-absorbed. Not what you'd want from the 'benevolent' leader of a religious organization.

Sanctus instantly spoke up again, cutting me off before I could ask any more. "The real question is, who are you? So far you've proven to be just as much of a thorn in my side as both Nero and that Dante. Yet I am not familiar with you."

I replied "If you must know, my name's Y/N, this is Lady. We're both demon hunters who came here regarding the demonic activity that's been happening recently. I believe you and your cult have something to do with that."

This comment caused Sanctus' eyebrows to furrow for a moment as he spat "I could care less about the woman you call your partner or why you are here. What I want to know is who are YOU personally?"

This time I was the one who's eyebrows furrowed as I asked "And why is that? I've never met you or had contact with your Order before now. Why the sudden interest?" A grin spread across Sanctus face, any resemblance of calm and collected disappearing in the process.

"Ever since you set foot in Fortuna, you've been cooking up quite the reputation. First you bested Credo, not many ordinary humans would be able to do that. But you didn't stop there did you?" He paused for a moment, his eyes staring directly at my own.

"No, after that I set up your first trial. You were to be the test for my own Bianco Angelo knights. Surely they would have been enough to rid us of two human pests who were getting too close for comfort. But no, according to a trusted source of mine they were no match for you. First five, then three. You cut them down with ease."

Again, he paused before adding "After that I decided to just let you loose, you would escape the castle, arrive at the forest and eventually make your way here. And that is where you would face your third trial in the form of an ascended Credo, not that he knew that though, he was there preparing for a battle against Nero, it just so happened you'd both show up around the same time, preventing me from getting a good scope for your fighting style. And it was at this point it became concrete that you were no regular human, but were in fact a demon yourself! Am I right?"