Chapter 42: A Sketchy Contract to kill a Lightning-Wielding Demon

(Now I just want to mention, I'm still planning this segment out so for those of you who feel that Y/N doesn't really do much in it then I promise you that I will make up for it in the DMC2 segment. It also has something to do with the fact that this segment is particularly harder to write than the others.)

Y/N POV

I raised my grenade launcher up and angled it over the top of the building looking down, looking through my newly added scope for greater accuracy. I heard Lady's motorbike revving behind me causing me to turn around and ask "Are you sure you want to work like this?"

To provide some context, recently me and Lady received yet another contract. This time from a priest. It seemed pretty normal, he contacted us directly and asked us to meet him, once there he filled us in on the more important details and off we went.

The contract in question regarded a demon who took the form of a woman, we weren't given much more than that aside from the fact that that whoever this demon was, they had the ability to generate and manipulate lightning.

We had no leads to go off on where to find this demon so we were almost just left to wander aimlessly. Until today, our luck would finally change. Right now, we were on top of a building at a sight where several demons were located. Apparently the one we sought out frequented these areas.

Shortly after our arrival, as soon as something happened, Lady would spring into action on a motorbike, meanwhile I would remain on this rooftop and pick the demons off with my grenade launcher, then when our particular lightning demon appeared, I would reveal myself and use Eclipse to finish them off.

Lady answered my earlier question with a cocky smile before responding "Of course, come on, it'll be fun." I just sighed and said "Fine, have it your way. But when this demon shows herself, allow me to have the finishing blow."

I don't know why, but ever since we fought Red Eye, I had felt a strange sensation in my mind, almost like a bizarre bloodlust which wasn't there before. Luckily, it was very minor so I was able to forget about it, though every now and then I would get aggressive thoughts regarding the demons I killed. Though that doesn't matter now.

Suddenly we heard a man coming from the building opposite, he reached a barred door which was locked. He gripped the bars and yelled out "HELP!" Behind him, a demon emerged, it crawled towards the man on all fours before slowly getting on its back legs and continuing its approach. The man called out again "HELP ME SOMEONE!"

I turned to Lady and said "This is your time to shine." I gave a thumbs up gesture which she returned. She then hit the accelerator and flew off the top of the building. She crashed through the gates and turned to the man warning him "Get out of here."

She fired at the demon as the man asked "What is that thing?!" Lady warned him again "Didn't you hear me? Get out of here now." Or perhaps your life doesn't matter to you." It was at this point more demons arrived causing me to smirk and mutter to myself "Oh this should be fun."

As Lady engaged the demons on the ground, while she was doing that, I turned my attention to the ones on the rooftops that would have normally got the drop on her. Thankfully, I modified the grenade launcher I found in Mundus' castle with a scope, enhancing my accuracy.

With that, I was able to pick them off with ease, the explosions of the grenades finished each one off in an instant. Between the two of us, we easily managed to dispatch each demon one after the other. And that's when a sudden blue lightning strike appeared.

It struck the last demon and managed to kill it instantly, now that all them lesser demons were out of the way, both me and Lady looked towards the source of the lightning, Lady was looking up while I looked directly across from my vantage point. Either way, our eyes landed on the same thing.

The silhouette of a woman could be seen on top of the building opposite, she had long flowing hair however it was difficult to make out much as the moon was directly behind her. Casting her in shadow. Even then, it was obvious that this was the demon we were after.

Lady instantly readied her handgun, it was obvious that she came to the same conclusion as me as she called to the demon "I've been looking for you! So you're the devil laying waste to this town?"

The demon remained silent and as I stared at her, my eyes narrowed as I focused harder before widening when I noticed something. I recognized this demon! A female demon, with control over lightning, how did I not put two and two together?!

I was cut off by Lady abruptly firing at the demon whom I now was almost certain was TRISH! I hadn't seen her at all since she partially split from Devil May Cry to go solo shortly before I did. Lady snapped "Why don't you take your true form? That's when you're at your strongest right?"

'Trish' flipped her hair in response but kept silent, again, I wasn't certain it was her, it could just be my mind playing tricks on me. I also still couldn't properly see her features due to the moonlight.

Again though, I was abruptly cut off when Lady fired several shots, Trish backflipped out of the way before firing a blast of lightning. I snapped to myself "Damn it! This complicates things!" Trish disappeared from sight and Lady raced into the building, also disappearing.

What made things difficult was that even if this demon WAS Trish, I'm also certain that she was still the demon we were after which only further complicated things. Needless to say, I knew I would have to interfere to avoid something terrible happening, most likely to Lady.

Slinging my grenade launcher over my shoulder, I fled from the rooftop where I had been hiding earlier. I ran across to the opposite building, through the now-demolished gate, past Lady's motorbike and finally entering the building myself.

As I navigated the corridors, I could hear gunshots and explosions, it sounded like it was coming from above so I ascended and eventually found myself on the roof, almost as soon as I arrived, the sounds ceased and I got one final glimpse of the demons as she leapt off the top of the building.

I ran over and looked over to see that she had disappeared into the darkness below. I heard Lady say next to me "Sorry, looks like you missed the party." I ignored her and instead kept staring into the darkness, there was no sign of her though. 

I wasn't certain that this was Trish we were dealing with, again I hadn't heard from her in a while. But I couldn't take chances, I knew she would show up again anyway so finding her now wasn't a priority.

Instead, as much as I don't want to admit it, I think it was time we payed Dante another visit...

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, I'm sorry if you found it underwhelming, like I said, I'm finding this segment slightly harder to write since I'm doing it on such short notice. I wasn't originally going to include the anime in this story however I had it requested quite a bit and saw some potential so I'm giving it a go. Still, I really do hope you enjoyed it, I know I'm still enjoying writing some of it despite having difficulties and as always, thank you for reading.