Chapter 75: The Order's Headquarters and the Demons in the Shadows

Y/N POV

Even with the Hell Gate closed and that Echidna demoness seemingly defeated I was slightly concerned by what we had found. While I had never seen one before now, I had read about Hell Gates in the past and knew two things. Firstly, they very rarely appeared alone, meaning there would most likely be more. Secondly, I knew these gates could spawn some pretty powerful and dangerous demons, I would have to tread lightly from now on, in case I came across another.

I tried to push my concerns to the back of my mind, instead simply focusing on the path ahead. Me and Lady continued even deeper into the forest, until eventually we arrived at another cliff face, we turned to look out over the vast expanse before us.

Off in the distance we both noticed a massive white tower jutting up over the tree-line, the Order of the Sword's insignia carved into the front of it. Lady commented "Well, looks like we've hit the jackpot." I mumbled "Heh heh, jackpot."

She turned to me confused asking "What?" I just stared at her for a moment before coughing awkwardly and saying "Never mind." I regained my composure and added "We should try and find our way over there."

Before we could move though, we heard the sound of running footsteps coming from behind us. We both ducked out of the way, hiding behind some trees and foliage, preparing to ambush whoever was coming.

Interestingly enough, we found out that it was actually NERO! We remained hidden and he didn't seem to notice us, instead just running past us and soon disappearing out of sight shortly after. Once he was gone, me and Lady both stepped out from our cover.

Lady asked "So, are we going to follow him?" I replied "Yeah, I have a hunch he'll be able to lead us to where we want to go. The sooner we have more info, the sooner we can put an end to this little demonic invasion and go home." Lady smiled and said "Sounds good to me."

We then proceeded to shadow Nero, keeping out of sight though. I could hope that he was leading us to that giant white structure we saw earlier. I assume it was the Order of the Sword's headquarters. 

Things seemed to go well at first, however like always, we soon found ourselves interrupted. We tracked Nero to a small stone bridge crossing over a river. Nero was able to cross no problem, running over it and once again disappearing.

When we were about to follow though when I suddenly had to avoid a swipe from a red insect-like pincer. Turning to the source of it, I came face to face with yet another new type of demon, this one was actually somewhat interesting.

It resembled a large black mass of darkness however it had a red head and matching red arms with fingers that somewhat resembled insect-like pincers protruding from its body. It floated off the ground and hovered around us in a circular motion as another one appeared.

Image of a Mephisto

I turned to Lady and commented "Yet another new demon, at this rate when the next load of demons show up there won't be any surprises

I turned to Lady and commented "Yet another new demon, at this rate when the next load of demons show up there won't be any surprises." Lady laughed as we both readied our weapons for battle.

I instantly drew Eclipse and jumped towards one of the Mephisto demons. I slashed at its body however much too my surprise, my blade only seemed to phase right through the mass of shadow and darkness.

It lashed out with its pincer-like fingers once again however I dodged the attack and landed back on my feet. It was at this point that something clicked in my mind. If its arms were solid and capable of landing hits. Then they must be connected to a torso hidden in that mass.

It was a gamble, but at this point it seemed it was the only way around these demons. They didn't seem much stronger than others I had faced before. It was their dark torsos that seemed indestructible. I had just the weapon to fix this though.

Swapping to my grenade launcher, I wasted no time firing at the demon again, this time it seemed to work! After two explosions, the veil of darkness broke completely causing the demon to fall to the ground, revealing a much smaller almost insect-like torso. After that I just effortlessly finished it off by stabbing it in the torso.

Lady found this just as easy. With Kalina Ann, she fired two rockets at the other Mephisto, dispersing the shroud and revealing its true form, and just like me, she effortlessly finished it off with a stab from her bayonet. 

Before we could leave though, two more emerged from the shadows of a nearby cliff. Of course by this point we already knew there weakness. So much like many demons before them, they lost their intimidation factor that they had in my first encounter with them.

Instantly we both focused primarily on our use of explosive weaponry to make them lose their shroud before quickly finishing them off with our use of blades. However in the time it had taken for us to take down this little ambush, Nero had disappeared ahead, meaning we were back to finding our own way to that tall white structure.

Timeskip...

It took us about half an hour at least, nothing eventful happened in that time. The odd demon showed up, we encountered Scarecrows, Blades and even a Mephisto or two. But they aren't really worth going into too much detail on, we cut them down and proceeded on our way.

There was also the matter of that we were literally following paths in hope that that would be enough to lead us to that structure that I assume was the Order's headquarters outside of Fortuna itself. We even found some more of those strange branches however due to the fruit that Echidna dropped during her escape, they instantly withdrew themselves.

At last though, we arrived at the site of the structure. A long white path lead up to a flight of long stairs. Pillars lined the path and as we walked down it, approaching the steps, I saw a bright light shine from the top of the stairs.

I picked up speed, as I drew closer I could hear the sounds of swords clashing. It seemed Nero was in the middle of an intense battle. Perhaps whoever he was fighting would be able to provide me with a bit more insight into what was going on. Either way, it seemed things were picking up...

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, next up as you may have guessed will be the Y/N vs Credo rematch chapter, this one will be better than the last one for obvious reasons. I'm particularly looking forward to this since Credo is one of my favourite characters in the series and his boss fight remains one of my favourites as well. I really hope you like it! I also hope you liked this chapter and as always, thank you for reading.