Chapter 54: The Shadow of the Uroboros Corporation

Image of Y/N's outfit in this segment:

Y/N POV

Vie de Marli, the island where holy and evil merge. It was also home to the global enterprise, the Uroboros corporation and for whatever reason, it was also the sight of my most recent contract. Which of course brings me to where I was right now.

I stood outside the skyscraper that served as headquarters for Uroboros. Why THEY of all people had hired me, I didn't know. Though a job was a job and I wouldn't have to share the reward with anyone.

Ever since the defeat of Abigail a few years ago, my contract routine had become a bit inconsistent. Devil May Cry was a bit more unified than it had been before. Sometimes I took jobs with Lady, Dante or Trish, sometimes I was just on my own like now for instance.

Despite the caution that I held regarding Uroboros' credibility and legitimacy, a job was a job, I just didn't want a repeat of that incident with the priest who pitted me and Lady against Trish. Of course, he got what was coming to him, hopefully this wouldn't be like that.

I sighed to myself before entering the tall building. Inside it kind of resembled your typical office building however there was no sign of anyone around. I called out "Hello!" At first, there was no reply, however soon, I heard footsteps coming down the stairs.

Turning my attention to the source of the footsteps, and my eyes landed on a woman descending the staircase, she wore a strange attire including a plum leather jacket, as well as a bird feathered mask covering their face. The woman asked "You are the Demon hunter, Y/N L/N correct?"

Image of the Secretary:

I replied "Yes, that's right

I replied "Yes, that's right. Who are you?" The woman gave off strange vibes, the same vibes I got when demons were nearby. She didn't answer my own question and instead just bowed and calmly said "Master Arius wished for me to escort you to his office, please, follow me."

I did as she asked and we approached the lift. She pushed the button on the panel and the doors opened. She gestured for me to step inside and once I had, she followed and pressed the button for the top floor and the lift began heading up.

The lift right itself was completely silent, I turned and gazed out of the window at the city below. I was somewhat surprised at how deserted it looked. There wasn't a single person in sight. I was snapped out of my gaze when the lift finally came to a stop and the highest floor. Or at least the highest floor the lifts could reach.

The woman turned to me and explained "We will have to walk the rest of the way." I nodded and said "Fine with me, lead the way." I followed her along until we finally arrived at a set of double doors. The woman looked at me one last time and instructed "Wait here please, I will inform my master of your arrival."

She went into what I assumed was the office, leaving me outside for a few seconds before she returned and said "Master Arius will see you now." I nodded and said "Thank you." As she held the door open for me.

I stepped past her into the office, it was quite large. Decorated with large windows overlooking the city. Sat at a desk at the far end of the room, was the man known simply as Arius, the shadowy CEO of the Uroboros Corporation, he sat in a throne-like chair sipping a glass of red wine and puffing on a cigar.

Image of Arius:

Upon noticing me, a grin spread across his face before saying "So you must be the Demon Hunter I hired

Upon noticing me, a grin spread across his face before saying "So you must be the Demon Hunter I hired." He gestured to the chair directly opposite him adding "Sit." I did as he requested and he then gestured to another glass and a wine bottle before asking "Wine?"

I shook my head saying "No thanks. Now, tell me why you requested I come all the way out here?" Arius shot me another grin before saying "Straight to the point, I like that." He turned his attention to the woman from earlier and his voice took a stern twist as he said "Leave us."

As the woman left the room, I asked "She's a demon, isn't she?" Arius nodded and said "I have no idea what you're talking about. She is one of my Secretaries." I raised an eyebrow and asked "Very well."

Again, Arius nodded before explaining "Now, on to why I decided to hire you in the first place." He placed a picture down in front of me. I seemed to show a red-haired woman wearing a grey attire with a white cloth wrapped almost like a scarf-cape hybrid covering the lower part of her mouth.

Arius explained "A short while ago, one of my 'secretaries' went rogue, goes by the name Lucia. And since then, she has proven to be a reoccurring nuisance. Which is where you come in." I instantly asked "Why don't you send another of your subordinates to deal with her?"

To this, Arius replied "I tried, time and time again. Each time she either evaded them completely or killed them with ease. Which is why I finally decided to bring in outside help in the form of yourself."

I analysed the picture for a moment, the woman in the photo looked like she could hold her own. Eventually I said "Fine, but I want a worthwhile reward for my troubles." Arius chuckled before finally saying "Rest assured, you will be compensated appropriately for this."

I stood up and turned to the door however before I could leave Arius called after me "Wait!" I turned around to look at him and what he said next genuinely caught me off guard.

"You remind me a lot of your mother..."

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, I will admit, I'm having to get back used to this book again after my absence. Like I've said before the DMC2 segment will be shorter than both the DMC1 and DMC3 segments since it purely focusses on the connection between Arius and Y/N's mother, if you can guess what it is then comment your thoughts, I really hope you enjoyed this chapter and as always, thank you for reading.