Chapter 35: The Sword of Sparda and the Nightmare's Return

Y/N POV

Following Vergil's surprising return, me and Dante remained stood frozen in place. Neither of us moved after what had just occurred. It was safe to assume that after Vergil went missing nine years ago, he had been found by Mundus and that lead to him becoming the Knight we had fought three times while here.

Suddenly, Dante's amulet that now hung loosely from his neck, began to glow. Vergil's matching amulet floated out of the ground and connected together, forming the complete amulet. Dante then drew Force Edge which was now emanating a strange red aura.

I watched as he held it above his head while the merged amulet floated upwards towards the centre of the blade. In an instant, Force Edge's shape morphed, instead taking on an entirely new form which if I'm correct was the sword 'Sparda' itself!

Image of the Sparda sword:

Dante held the sword above his head for a moment as red lightning shot down on it from above

Dante held the sword above his head for a moment as red lightning shot down on it from above. He then began swinging the sword around as it began taking on a variety of shapes including that of a scythe among others, before finally placing it on his back.

Once that strange process was complete, another portal opened up on the floor. I turned to Dante and asked with concern in my voice "Are you okay, do you think you'll be able to continue in your current mental state?" Dante just looked at me and said "Oh I've never been better."

With that, we went through the portal and wound up in a familiar room within the castle. Behind us, yet another of those mirror-like portals opened up allowing us to leap through it into some kind of underground crypt that was completely submerged underwater.

I pulled out my needlegun as we both swam through the underwater passageways, only encountering a few minor enemies. The only part that proved a slight challenge was a large room with three Sin Scissors present, fighting them off with only a needlegun proved to be more difficult that I had initially thought.

Nevertheless, I was able to take them out with only about three needles each and with them gone, we were free to proceed deeper into this 'dungeon' of sorts. Just attached to this room was a small waterfall-esque alcove  where the water abruptly ended. Here we hopped up onto dry land.

Going through a door we found ourselves in a large room with stairs going upwards. A room which I don't think I'd been in before, but given Dante's reaction, I assume he'd visited it when we split up upon our arrival here.

On the wall there was one of those seals and upon lighting all the runes, the room was instantly plunged into the water. Again, we were forced to swim about until we eventually reached the top, here we found a statue with a strange egg-like item.

If my knowledge into demonic artefacts was accurate, this was the Philosopher's Egg. With this in hand, we both made our way back down to the lower level and through the castle once again until we eventually arrived in some kind of gardens.

Here was an antique looking furnace. Anyone who knew about the Philosopher's egg, knew that upon being heated up, would then reveal the Philosopher's Stone, which in turn would hopefully provide us a route to the demon world where we had a hunch Mundus was hiding.

Upon placing the egg in the furnace, I used Ifrit to heat it up. It would take a while for it to transform so it was just a matter of waiting. Though it didn't take long after the furnace had started for us to notice a familiar goo seep into the room before taking shape.

That's right, Nightmare had returned. Of course this time, we knew its weakness was the core which it tried to hide within its body. I brandished Ifrit while Dante held Sparda tightly. Instantly, Nightmare started by firing a green energy beam from the large cannon on its face.

We both dodged the attack and instantly lunged in for a counter attack. I grinned upon noticing another seal on one of the walls. If this was anything like our last encounter then that seal and the insignias on it would be our ticket to victory.

I dashed towards the seal while Dante distracted the Nightmare. I struck the seal as each of the insignias lit up one at a time until finally, there was a flash of light and I turned around smirking at the Nightmare exposed its now-broken core.

This time though, we didn't want to waste time so from the very beginning I joined in and both me and Dante attacked the core before suddenly being bounced back as the core covered itself. The Nightmare then summoned forth a series of tiny balls that all shot these little lasers.

These lasers didn't really hurt but they did sting and were annoying. However I turned to Dante and said "You keep drawing its attacks, I'll work on getting it to reveal its weak spot." Dante just said "Sounds good."

I turned back to the seal and began striking it once again with Ifrit until all the insignias lit up once again causing the creature to expose its core. Again, we worked together, slashing and punching away at the metallic sphere before it was covered up once again.

Of course, you know how it goes by now. Dante served as bait, expertly evading the Nightmare's array of laser themed attacks while trying not to be devoured by the gelatinous demon. Meanwhile, I focused on attacking the seal on the wall until eventually the core was exposed to us one last time.

In an all-out onslaught, we railed on the core until finally Dante leapt upwards and stabbed the core head-on using Sparda. This caused the creature to react by on once again returning to its sludge-like state before shrinking away and disappearing from sight.

With Nightmare once again gone, both me and Dante turned our attention back to the furnace on the other end of the room. Sure enough, the fight with Nightmare had given us just enough time for the egg to transform into the Philosopher's stone itself.

Now it was just a matter of finding a way into the Demon world and hopefully, confronting Mundus...

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, all going well, I shall try and upload another one later today. Anyway, I do hope you enjoyed this chapter and as always, thank you for reading.