Chapter 32: A Distant Memory and the Sibling's battle

Flashback (Y/N is 15 at this point)...

I slowly emerged from the ruins of my destroyed house and stepped out onto the wet grass. The ground squelched beneath my feet as I stepped further and further from my former home. Of course now it was nothing more than a shell of its former self.

I called out "Mother? Mother?! Where are you?!" Eventually my eyes widened when I found her, lying face down in a pile of mud, the thick substance soaked up the blood that was pouring from her front.

Racing over to her, I dropped to my knees and turned her around. I gasped when I saw a massive burn mark in the centre of her torso, as if she had been struck by some kind of laser. I shook her gently saying "Mother? Mother wake up! Please!"

I felt for a pulse and upon not being able to find one, I gasped a second time as tears began falling down my face. I held the lifeless body of my mother in my arms. Looking up towards the dark sky and the conveniently timed rain, I saw IT.

A trio of red circles, almost like eyes. Seemingly looking down on me from a shroud of pitch dark clouds with mysterious red lightning flashing around it. I just continued to stare at the strange anomaly in the sky before it slowly faded away and disappeared from view.

Back to present day...

(That was only a condensed version of Y/N's backstory hence why it was so small and somewhat rushed, in a later segment, likely DMC5, I am hopefully planning to devote a whole chapter around a flashback which will also explain how Y/N got Eclipse.)

I eventually snapped from my flashback, returning to my senses and to the moment at hand. Looking around the arena, I saw no signs of the familiar trio of red dots or the dead body of Griffon, I assume he had disintegrated  upon death.

Dante was standing, glaring up at where the three eyes had previously been. I noticed he was clutching his mother's amulet and muttering to himself "That three eyed-" He was cut off when there was a flash of lightning behind us and Trish emerged.

My eyes narrowed as I noticed something. Both Mundus and Griffon seemed to have electrical themed abilities. And Trish seemed to demonstrate very similar abilities. I would have to question her about this.

Trish stepped forward, looking at where Griffon once lay and said in amazement "You beat him. Maybe it was too easy for you both." She glanced at me and then turned to Dante who just continued staring upwards before speaking.

"Mundus, his heinous ways make me sick. Killing even his own like they were nothing." His tone held a certain bitterness, I could tell there was something more to this anger than just Mundus killing his own underlings. 

And that's when he said "He's the one who took the life of my mother, my brother, I'm sure of it." My eyes widened, so the person who killed Dante's mother and my own were the same person?! This made me stand up slowly and approach the two.

Dante continued explaining "My mother always used to tell me that my father was a man who fought for the weak. He had courage and a righteous heart. In the name of my father I will kill Mundus!"

I don't know what came over me in that moment. The next thing I knew, I drew Eclipse and was now pointing it directly at Dante before saying "I'm afraid I cannot let you do that." Dante looked at me in shock  before asking "Y/N, why?"

I sighed before responding "Those eyes, I've seen them only once before. The night my mother was killed. I don't know of his involvement, but I know that Mundus was there that night. If anyone's going to kill him, it's going to be me."

Drawing Force Edge, Dante swept Eclipse out of his face before saying "Face it Y/N, you're no match for him. I don't even know if I will be and let's face it, I'm stronger than you." This caused me to growl in anger.

I slashed outward with Eclipse and snapped "Get out of my way Dante!" Dante just snapped back "No, you get out of mine!" Before slashing at me with Force Edge. I dodged and now we just stared at one another.

Dante asked "So, are we really doing this?" I responded "I don't know, you tell me?" Dante chuckled and said "Sure, why not." With that, we charged one another and clashed our blades together, sparks erupting from the impact.

We separated and began trading a wide array of sword attacks, slashed, stabs etc. As we fought, we didn't notice Trish simply leave and disappear in a flash of lightning. I went in for a sideways swing to the right however Dante jumped upwards and dodged it.

He tried countering with a series of rapid stabbing attacks however I was also able to dodge the majority of these, only one or two actually hit me and even then, they were only small scratches to none-vital areas meaning I could keep going.

You know, after what happened in the Temen-Ni-Gru and me joining Devil May Cry, I never thought I would actually be fighting AGAINST Dante! But in this situation, I guess it was to be expected.

Dante yelled "Y/N! This fight is pointless! Stand down!" I just retorted "No, why don't you! Don't you understand, this is something I have to do!" We once again stood opposite each other, weapons in hand as we prepared to finish our duel.

We both used our Devil Triggers and rushed each other one last time. As we crossed, we slashed at one another before landing on opposite sides to one another. Dante turned to face me as I dropped down on one knee as he said "I told you Y/N. You can't even beat me. You wouldn't stand a chance against Mundus, the only way we may have a chance, is if we work together."

(I feel I should mention that Y/N is weaker than Dante at this point. At this point I'd estimate he's as strong as Arius from DMC2. However as the story progresses, he will become stronger until he's Dante and Vergil's equal by the end.)

I stared at him with wide-eyes as he extended his hand out and said "Please Y/N. I need you with me on this one." I stared between his face and the hand extended before me. I reached out and took it slowly as Dante helped me to my feet.

Such was the bond of two half-brothers. Even then, how would we fare together against the nightmare that was to come...

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter and I think we might be getting close to the end of the segment now, I don't know though. Unfortunately, I will be out for the rest of the day so I will only be uploading this one chapter today, tomorrow I will try and get two uploaded. Anyway, I do hope you enjoyed this chapter and as always, thank you for reading.