Chapter 38: The Defeat of Mundus, Escaping Mallet Island

(Okay so I still don't know if I want to cover the DMC anime in this book or whether I go straight onto DMC2. After this chapter, I'm going to go back and work on my Resident Evil book while I watch the series and if anything interesting happens in it, I'll include it but if I feel that it would just be irrelevant and filler, then I'll skip straight to DMC2 which despite being a shorter segment, will still have a semi-important role on the book as a whole.)

Y/N POV

I remained knelt by Trish's body for what felt like hours. I don't know how long it was, but I just kept kneeling, waiting and silently hoping that somehow, Dante would be able to overpower Mundus so we could all escape here.

Suddenly, my silent prays were answered when Dante once again materialised in the large room. I stood up saying "Dante, did you-?" He nodded silently at my question before approaching Trish and kneeling down at her side.

He picked her up and just stared at her for a moment, I stood silently off to the side, watching as Dante said sadly. "My mother risked her life for me. And now you too. I should have saved you." He then yelled "I SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE ONE TO FILL YOUR DARK SOUL WITH LIGHT!" 

A stray tear left Dante's eye and fell onto Trish's face before he slowly put her body down on the ground. He then gently took his mother's amulet and placed it on top of her before standing up and saying "This was my mother's now I'm giving it to you."

He then drew the sword Sparda, stabbing it into the ground next to her "My father's also here now. Rest in piece." It was at this point that I realized Trish was dead. Despite barely interacting with her, I felt saddened by her passing.

The moment was interrupted when the ground began to shake as rubble fell from the ceiling. I looked around before saying "I hate to ruin the moment, but we need to get out of here NOW!" Dante just gave me a confirming nod before we both fled the scene, leaving Trish with the sword.

We backtracked quickly through the gruesome demonic world, cutting down any demons that were in our path without hesitation. There was no time for long, drawn-out battles now. Escape was our primary concern.

We eventually arrived at the portal that would return us to the human world, or at least the mirrored version of it. After that, it was a matter of stepping on an elevated platform that took us back to the real world.

From there, it was just a matter of even more backtracking, heading through the same castle halls we had been through when we arrived here. Naturally here we just found Marionettes which were cut down in a matter of seconds.

As we were running through one room though, the floor crumbled from under us, causing us both to fall down as we looked around, a giant portal formed. We turned to face it, both of us glaring as Mundus emerged letting out an almighty roar!

He spoke up "The gate has been opened. You are not getting away. This is where you will both die." Dante yelled "I'm not going anywhere! Besides, there's no place to go! This'll be your burial ground as well!" I yelled "Indeed, don't forget, you owe me a special debt Mundus!"

I drew Eclipse and instantly entered my Devil Trigger. It was obvious that Mundus was weakened from his previous fight with Dante because I was able to leap forward and land a powerful slash to Mundus face, causing him to tilt his head back from the blow's force. 

Dante, also in Devil Trigger, also leapt upwards Mundus and together, we conducted an onslaught of attacks directly to him. Since his battle with Dante, some of the stone off his body had crumbled away, leaving a vulnerable lava-like substance underneath.

Mundus attempted to attack by striking at me with his arm however at this point I was able to dodge his attack. He also tried firing green lasers from his forehead, making a combination of his earlier attacks as well as the lasers used by Nightmare.