Chapter 57: The Flip of a Coin

Y/N POV

"So Dante, you can't leave me alone to handle a single demon threat can you?"

I instantly pulled out my phone and dialled in the number I wanted. It rang for a while as I muttered to myself "Come on, pick-up, pick-up." Eventually, I finally got a reply when I heard Dante's familiar voice saying "Hello?"

I asked in an angered tone "What the hell are you playing at Dante?" I heard him reply "What? I did nothing wrong." I snapped down the phone "I told you this contract was MINE, you were told to stay out of, yet here you are."

Dante retorted "I'm actually here for another job, stop accusing me of stuff okay?" I asked "Oh? And what job is that?" Dante replied bluntly "Just your typical, I've been hired to put a stop to some Arius guy from awakening some demon."

My eyes widened a bit as I said "Well isn't that something?" Dante asked "What?" I chuckled and said "It seems I was hired by the same guy YOU were hired to stop." Dante replied in a joking tone "Shame on you Y/N. Surely you know what Arius is like, I mean people like that are all the same, just look at Arkham."

I responded "Oh yes, I know ALL about Arius. And that's why I can't let you get in my way. He knows something that is valuable to me." Dante's tone turned snarky as he asked "Oh yeah? What's that?"

I replied "Now isn't the time, I'll tell you in person. Where are you?" Dante replied "I'm outside some kind of temple. What about you?" I explained "I'm at this village, I just met up with an elderly lady who told me you were here."

Dante then said "Oh, her. Okay you're close by, the temple isn't all that far away from you, I think it's to the north but don't quote me on that. Meet me there and I want to hear what you have to say." I said "Fine, I'll be there as soon as I can." With that, I hung up.

Putting the phone down I muttered "Damn." I then decided to head back into the village, finding my bike propped up in one of the alleys just as I'd left it. Getting on, I started up the engine, gave it a quick rev before setting off. I chose to take Dante's gamble and headed north of the village.

Timeskip...

Luckily for both me and Dante, it turns out his directions were correct. Soon, I noticed several stone pillars come into view in the distance causing me to say "That must be it." I picked up speed on my bike until I finally came to a stop in front of whatever this ruin was supposed to be.

I leaned my bike against one of the walls before stepping closer. Looking around at the ruin, I spotted no sign of Dante. Or any life for that matter whether it was human or demon, at the moment the whole place seemed silent.

That's when I finally heard a familiar "Psst!" Sound coming from behind a crumbling brick wall. Turning around, I noticed a flash of white hair briefly visible before ducking out of sight. Naturally I followed it and rounded the corner myself.

As expected, Dante stood there with his arms folded, leaning against the wall with a smirk on his face before he finally said "See? My sense of direction isn't all that bad." I sighed and replied "It was still a gamble, you're lucky it turned out well, I don't feel like being lead on a wild goose-chase around the island."

Image of Dante:

I went straight to the point asking "Now why are you here?" Dante shrugged and replied "I already told you, I was hired by the old lady you met to take out Arius before he awakens some demon

I went straight to the point asking "Now why are you here?" Dante shrugged and replied "I already told you, I was hired by the old lady you met to take out Arius before he awakens some demon. What about you? I didn't think I'd be seeing you, does Lady know you're here?"

I replied "Yeah, I told her I'd received a contract that I would be able to handle alone." Dante then brought up "You said on the phone that Arius knows something that interests you. What do you mean? He strikes me as just another human wanting demonic power that he's unfit to control."

I went on to explain "Firstly, when Arius made his enquiry to Devil May Cry on the phone, he specifically insisted that I be the one to take the contract. That in itself was strange however it's why he said when we actually met in person."

Dante raised an eyebrow and asked "And what did he say?" I sighed again before relying "I claimed I was like my mother." This made Dante's eyes widen as he asked "How did he know your mother?! Wasn't she killed by some of Mundus' demons?"

Nodding, I explained "When I met that elder with the staff, she told me that this island is my mother's native home. She lived in the village before she found she had a special gift, a gift she and Arius shared, one that drew them together."

Next Dante asked "What gift was that?" I replied "I have no idea. The elder Matier said that Arius would be able to explain everything to me. Don't you see Dante? THIS is why I can't let you kill Arius, not just yet. I never understood my mother, even when she was alive she was shrouded in mystery. Arius may be the only one with answers."

Dante just stared at me for a while saying "Damn, this complicates things, I've already met Arius once and I was looking forward to taking him out." He then placed a hand on my shoulder and said "Tell you what, I'll flip this coin, heads you get Arius, tails, he's mine."

He held up a coin and gave it a flip, catching it in his hand, he kept it covered for a moment before finally getting a look at it. A smile appeared on his face as he said "Well, you're in luck Y/N, Arius is all yours."

I looked back at him and said "Thanks Dante." He shot me a grin and said "What can I say? You halved my debt, let's say this pays off the rest." I gave him a playful thump on the arm saying "Don't push it. I still want the rest of that money."

We had a bit of a laugh before we turned our attention back to the ruin, I asked "So, need a hand?" Dante kept grinning and said "Not really, I'm more than capable of handling this. But feel free to stick around..."

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, it was meant to be uploaded yesterday but I was too busy to work on it properly, I'm sorry if it was bad, I had some difficulty with it as well. Hopefully things pick up from here, I hope you like what I've got planned, I also hope you enjoyed this chapter and as always, thank you for reading.