Chapter 85: Reclaiming Yamato

Y/N POV

With Agnus out of the picture, it was obvious that the next step was to slay the Saviour and put a stop to Sanctus. Of course before that there was one, more personal, order of business to attend to. The location and reclamation of Vergil's old sword Yamato.

Thinking about Vergil made me shudder slightly. I hadn't seen or even heard off him since it was revealed he was Nelo Angelo back in Mundus' Castle and the last time I'd actually spoken to him was all the way back in the Temen-Ni-Gru, or more specifically in the Demon World.

I hadn't forgotten about him though. How could I? He was the one who told me of my true heritage, he was my half brother and to top it all off, he was the first person I'd encountered who was able to flat-out best me in combat without me having a chance. Though I also didn't have access to Devil Trigger or anything like that yet at that point.

Anyway, it was safe to assume Yamato was being kept in Fortuna itself and judging by how we found Agnus all alone in the chapel, then I assumed wherever it was being kept was in close proximity to where we were right now.

Sure enough, hidden within the chapel, we found access to some sort of underground catacombs. We wasted no time heading down there finding ourselves following a narrow stone path lit only by braziers lining the corridor.

Usually when it was just me and Dante you'd expect the odd wise-crack here and there. However this time we were completely silent. There was still tension between us after my random outburst which even now lingered on my mind. After all, this had never happened before and was very out of character for me.

Eventually Dante broke the silence and asked "So, what was that before? I don't annoy you so much that you'd try to kill me, do I?" Despite his seemingly joking tone, I could tell there was seriousness behind it.

I sighed and said "I don't know Dante. Honestly I wish I did, it was a split second moment. One second I'm normal and then next thing I knew I attacked." Dante commented "You can say that again. Do you have any idea what caused it?"

I briefly glanced towards Eclipse. My eyes narrowed. Of course I had suspicions. However I couldn't be certain of anything. After all, I'd had this weapon for years and I'd never had the strange lightning display until the incident with King. It came as a shock then and I'd still not found a way to get answers. If it was related towards Eclipse I wouldn't know, much like myself its ties to Sparda weren't widely known.

Before I could answer Dante's question, we were cut off when we entered a more open room underground where we were instantly surrounded by a batch of Bianco Angelo knights, about ten of them all already in defensive stances with their shields in front of them and lances still ready to attack.

Me and Dante stood back to back, Rebellion and Eclipse in hand. We glanced at the demons one by one before Dante asked "So, when was the last time we fought as a team like this? Seems like years." I replied "Vie de Marli, remember? Not really that long ago." Dante said "Point taken."

The knights remained in a circular position around us before all lunging forward, stabbing with their lances at the same time. We both lunged upwards causing the lances to all hit one another in the middle instead.

I lashed out with a slash, instantly decapitating one of the knights, making it fall to the ground. Dante slashed through one of them's torso cutting it down the middle and making it fall away in two halves.

My second one was able to block with its shield protecting it from about three slashes before it could no longer support its arm, granting me the chance to break through the defence and stab it in the back, making it fall down as well.

From there it was yet another gore-less slaughter. Between me and Dante we effortlessly proceeded to cut through the Bianco Angelo group. After we'd slain the initial ten, more appeared. Though all that did was waste our time.

Once those new Bianco Angelo were defeated, there was more. I said to Dante "We must be getting close, if the Order has this may guards down here." To this Dante just grinned before replying "But when would that ever stop us?"

At last, with the two of us working together, we were able to dismantle the band of knights, allowing us to continue deeper into the crypt uninterrupted. And at last we found what we sought.

We arrived in another large chamber, a narrow walkway headed towards a lone pedestal, surrounded by lava. On the pedestal, levitating off the ground, was Yamato, a smile spread across my face as we approached.

The sword was suspended in the centre of a strange red rune presumable what was holding the gate open. Me and Dante stopped in front of it, looking at one another. It was really down to who was going to grab the blade.

I sighed before saying "You take it Dante. Vergil was your twin so it's your right." Dante proceeded to stare at me for a moment asking "Are you sure?" I just nodded before gesturing towards it. Dante stepped forwards and grasped the hilt firmly.

In a swift motion Dante removed the blade from the rune. There was a flash of bright light as the lava around us seemed to vanish completely. I stared in anticipation as Dante inspected the blade slowly.

Suddenly there was a rumbling as the room around us began crumbling down. I turned to Dante and said "Hate to interrupt the reunion but we need to get out of here." Dante turned to me and said "Okay okay, no need to rush." To that I retorted "I'd suggest you rush unless you want to get buried alive."

With that we hurried out of the chamber, Yamato now in our possession. It was finally time to wrap this up, finally time to put an end to Sanctus and his Saviour...

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, from here we've only got about two or three left of this segment. I hope you enjoy them, I also hope you liked this chapter and as always, thank you for reading.