Chapter 43: Visiting Devil May Cry... Again

Y/N POV

AGAIN, me and Lady found ourselves standing outside the familiar sight of the Devil May Cry shop. When this was first fully established following the Temen-Ni-Gru incident, I often frequented the place, serving as Dante's second in command as sorts.

However as you know, I eventually grew frustrated with Dante's inability to pay off his debts and because of this, I slowly began to distance myself from the place. Only showing up with Lady if we had a job for him such as Red Eye or if we just wanted to demand our money back.

You may be wondering how Dante wound up owing me money. Well you see, when his debts began peaking my interest, I initially decided to bale him out and pay them off for him since I was having more luck finding jobs.

The deal was though, that I would only pay off the debts for a short time and he would eventually pay back what he owed, once he found a stable source of income. However I then found out that instead of saving up to pay me and his debts off himself, he was blowing what little he had on strawberry sundaes and pizza.

Eventually, enough was enough. I refused to cover his ass anymore and on top of that, I told him he would need to pay me back every ounce of cash I spent paying off his debt. He was my brother though and that's why I would occasionally throw the odd job his way to help him out.

This was one of those occasions, it's not that the task was hard. If it came down to it I knew I'd be able to take Trish easily. I just had a hunch there was more going on, and I figured Dante had best be made aware of what was happening.

(Just had to establish that Y/N is stronger than Trish. I've had people complaining on some of my other books about how the main character is often too weak and some even sent me quite hurtful messages, I'd prefer it if that didn't happen with this book.)

I just glanced up at the neon sign, since it was the middle of the day, the sign wasn't lit up however I could tell it looked different than before, the outline of a woman was now replaced with one of Dante himself. I commented sarcastically "Is it just me or has he got a new sign?"

Lady looked at it and joked "Probably spent our money on it." I sighed saying "Figures." With that, we both made our way towards the door and opened it. Looking around, I saw that the office was back to its old self, the girly decorations were gone.

Dante himself was sat reading a presumably explicit magazine with his feet up, muttering angrily to himself, me and Lady approached his desk, ignoring his rant before Lady plucked the magazine out of his hand.

She analysed it before turning to him with a blank look and asking "Thinking about dressing up in drag?" Dante retorted "Let me know if there's anything you think would look good on me." To this she muttered "God, your jokes are always so lame."

She passed the magazine to me and I looked at it for a moment, it was exactly the sort of thing I expected as I muttered "God Dante. And you wonder about why I'm spoken for and you aren't?" Dante just smirked before sassing back "Hey, I'd rather be single than have Lady bitching in my earhole."

I just grinned before chucking the magazine back on the table in front of him. Finally Dante asked "So, what do you both want? Here to collect money from me? I don't need that right now." Lady answered "Relax, I just dropped by today because I have something to ask you."

She paused for a moment before explaining "The truth is that yesterday, the demon we were supposed to bag got away from us." Dante gave me a smirk but a shuck my head sternly. He then said "Poor bastard, so I guess you're both going to be hunting him until he's dead huh? Well he's got my sympathy."

Lady looked at him saying "You wouldn't know anything about a she-devil that commands lightning would you?" I don't know if Dante caught on just yet but he asked "Lightning?" Lady answered "Yeah, she looked human."

Dante then looked down responding "Don't have a clue, but I can tell you there's a tonne of demons out there in the world that could totally pass for human." Lady chose now to mention. "Oh yeah and she was packing heat too."

Dante took a sip from his drink before placing it down and saying "Well demons do have fingers, that's all you need to pull the trigger." Lady just said "Hmm, you've got a point there." She stood up, patted her skirt before walking over to one of the walls and saying.

"It's just that, this she-devil, kept shooting at me with a gun in each of her hands just like you." Dante's face was blank but I could tell he had caught on to the same concern as me. Lady then said "Later." 

As she walked away I called after her "I'll be out in a second." She didn't turn back to me before saying "Okay, don't be too long though." With that she headed back outside, as she did so, young Patty opened the door saying "Hello Lady! Are you leaving already." Lady gently put a hand on her head replying "Yeah, gotta go, maybe next time we'll hang out and play together."

With that she closed the door. Patty looked at me before waving and saying "Hey Y/N!" I waved faintly back and said "Hey kid. I'll be leaving soon as well, just paying Dante a quick visit about some business." She nodded and I turned back to Dante.

We just stared at one another, this was the first time we'd been in a room alone since out argument, an argument which caused us to distance from one another. We remained silent before Dante smirked and mockingly said.

"Oh look at this, what's the matter Y/N? Want to spend time with your big bro after all this time?" I just placed my hands on the desk and sternly said "Save it. I'm here to talk to you about this she-demon me and Lady encountered."

Dante raised an eyebrow and simply stated "And-?" I glared at him "Don't play dumb with me Dante. I know you came to the same conclusion as me." To this Dante shrugged asking again "So, you two encountered Trish again and it seems she's your contract. What, she's too much for you to handle?"

I continued to glare at him and said "You know that's not it. I don't know about you, but I suspect that there's some foul play at work here. I figured it would be best to tell you in case things happen to go south. If we aren't careful either her or Lady will get hurt, I'd like to avoid that."

Dante responded "Well what do you want me to do?" I shrugged and responded "I don't know! Think of something. Use that big brain of yours." With that, I just spun around and made my way out of the office. Before leaving though I gave him a sideways glance.

No words were spoken, the look in our eyes said everything. I then exited and closed the door behind me.

Lady must have sensed something was up as she asked "You okay Y/N?" I just nodded and said "Yeah, I'm good." We both got on our motorbikes and set off, leaving the Devil May Cry office. Completely unaware we were being watched from a nearby building...

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, I really hope you enjoyed it, I don't know when the next chapter will be uploaded however hopefully it will be tomorrow and as always, thank you for reading.