Chapter 98: Lady's Memories, V's Explanation

Y/N POV

I took off after the unknown individual who had been watching me. I don't know whether they were a human or demon since I didn't get a good enough look at them before however judging by what little I did see of them, I assumed the former which certainly narrowed my options down to just WHO it could be.

No ordinary human would be able to get this near to the Qliphoth. While we were a relative distance from it, the sheer number of demons in the area spelt certain death for any regular human which meant that this human was no stranger.

I picked up speed and it didn't take me long to catch up with the fleeing person. As I drew closer, their features became much more apparent and my theory was instantly proven correct when I recognized the slim, tattooed body of V, fleeing.

I could have easily divebombed him right then and there. However the revelation that it WAS him gave me an interesting idea. He hadn't seemed to notice me following after him and I decided to keep it that way. If it looked like he might turn around, I'd fly out of sight.

V was certainly perceptive so hiding wasn't easy however not once did he seem to acknowledge that I may be following him which served to my advantage. I knew he was here with Nero and I assumed he was heading back to regroup with him.

THIS would allow me to correct my previous mistake. I wouldn't be so gracious with Nero this time. And if V managed to successfully lead me back to him then I would be able to kill two birds with one stone at that. 

Rain started drizzling before escalating into a steady downpour and a laugh slowly erupted out of me as I began following from the shadows, Eclipse would be satisfied...

Timeskip...

Nero POV

The rain outside hammered on the windows of the Devil May Cry van. I sat opposite Lady who even after waking up, seemed in an almost dazed state. As soon as Nico had told me that she was awake, I had questions that I needed to ask.

"So, what happened to him? And Y/N or Trish? They end up like you?" The first question was of course what had happened to Dante. I was still unsure whether that winged demon I fought WAS Y/N or not so I still asked about him as well.

Lady just looked down before quietly responding "Trish, she... She was captured. I remember that. But I don't know what happened to Dante." I noticed she seemed quiet about Y/N so I asked "And Y/N? What happened to him?"

To this Lady narrowed her eyes in thought before saying "I-I'm not sure. The last thing I remember before going unconscious was a bright purple light consuming him, it looked like it had come from his own sword." Her expression saddened as she mumbled "Y/N..."

Her answer only made me believe my idea even more. That purple light that came from his blade may have caused him to become the demon. I commented "So, that might explain things." Lady looked confused as she asked "What?"

I went on to explain  "I fought a demon a few hours ago that had Y/N's Eclipse sword. I'm not sure if it was him though or some lucky demon who happened to find it. But one thing was certain, he was very powerful." I growled angrily and added a frustrated "Damn it!" 

The door to the van abruptly opened and I looked up to see V standing there, saying "You can't travel through here in a car." I will admit I'm glad he changed the subject as I replied "Yeah, we know, we're just waitin' on you. There's only one way up that tree. Hang on, I'll get ready."

I stood up and went in the back. As V sat down and waited, I heard him suddenly say "I think you're right Nero." I turned around and asked "About what?" V didn't turn to face me when he replied "About the demon who wields Eclipse."

This caught Lady's attention as well as she asked "What is this demon?" V continued "I had a run-in with him before, not face-to-face, but I watched him from afar as he slaughtered a hive of demons. He definitely wields Eclipse. However his fighting style is also a mirror of Y/N's, the only difference is the new sadism, brutality and bloodlust that drives this demon."

I asked "So, you think that this demon is actually Y/N?" V slowly nodded before saying "Yes. There were stories about Sparda known to very few. Some say the sword Eclipse almost drove him mad and he was forced to hide it away. Y/N seems to have completely embodied this madness and lost control of his mind."

Lady's eyes widened as she exclaimed "But why Y/N?! What triggered Eclipse to take control now?" V responded "I believe Urizen may have been responsible for this activation, Y/N had been its wielder for years so naturally it selected him as its host. I also thin-." He was cut off as Lady instantly asked "Is there a way to recover him from Eclipse's control?"

Her tone sounded worried and urgent, I wasn't surprised. I knew about Y/N and Lady's relationship. I also knew they had a son together. V remained calm though when he said "That's what I was getting too. Strength alone won't be enough. If this demon IS Y/N, then he now poses a threat greater than I could have possibly anticipated. There are only two people who can get through to him."

Looking at Lady, he added "You and Dante. With you being his long-time partner and Dante being his brother, I believe you two would be the only ones capable of restoring Y/N back to his old state. But that is only half the journey-."

After that he trailed off, remaining silent even when we pressed for more answers. He briefly said to Lady "I'm glad to see you look so well." To that she quietly replied "You too I guess." V held up some sort of item and commented "I found these, if they're of use to you, they're yours."

Nico leapt out of her seat and snatched them up quickly and stared at them in awe "Wow! I can make something truly awesome out of this." She ran out back as V got up. Lady asked me "Can we trust him?"

I replied "Your guess is as good as mine. He might be useful though." It was at this point she asked, surprisingly later than I thought she would "S/N, where is he?" I looked at her and calmly said "Relax, Morrison agreed to take care of him until this matter is finally wrapped up. Enough talking, get some rest. You need it."

It was at this point I heard Nico ask something that made a chill run down my spine. "Hey, did either you or V happen to piss of an insane looking winged demon? 'Cause one seems to be heading right this way."

I turned and saw her looking out of a window rushed outside and looked around, I saw V staring up in the sky and following his eyes I saw what Nico seemed to be talking about. A winged demon flying towards us at break-neck speeds!

Beside me, I heard V comment "He's here..."

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, the next one will of course be the fight I've been hyping up, I really hope you enjoy it when it's uploaded. I also hope you liked this chapter and as always, thank you for reading.