Chapter 83: Retracing Ones Steps

Y/N POV

I delivered a series of blows to the Hell Gate before finishing up with one powerful punch that completely destroyed the large structure and by extension, preventing any more demons from slipping through.

My headache from earlier had almost completely faded away by now so rather than dwelling on it too much. I wasted no time turning around and left the large clearing and leaving the destroyed gate along with Echidna's withered body.

Even if I wasn't dwelling too much on what had happened, it did concern me to an extent. I hadn't had an incident like this since the battle with Arius a few years ago. And again it seemed to originate from me stabbing a demon.

But that made no sense. I'd stabbed multiple lesser demons before and I'd not had similar effects. Even more strange, while in this last attempt I'd had quite a headache after the process, I also felt strangely replenished. As if any energy that I'd expended during the battle with Echidna had been completely restored.

I wasted no time trekking back through the forest, of course a simple memory of direction wouldn't be enough now, I soon encountered another of those dark veils blocking my path. Heading through that brought me out in another area of the forest.

As I was walking, I noticed a blue glow beneath me and looked down to see another of those Fault demons I'd found earlier. Of course I knew exactly how to deal with this one. Before it even had the chance to close, I thrust down with with Gilgamesh, my newest Devil Arm and effortlessly disposed of the demon.

Stepping forward, I came across another one shortly after. And another after that. I sighed before muttering to myself "It's like a minefield here." I leapt upward as the demon snapped its mouth shut trying to consume me but to no avail. 

I slashed downwards, cutting through the demon with ease causing it to flop to the ground and disappear. See what I mean? There was no dramatic spark display here. No headache or feeling of replenishment, I don't know what was going on.

It took me a while but after several ventures into the voids, I finally arrived back on the cliff face overlooking the Order's headquarters. Only this time it looked clearly damaged with everything that had occurred.

From there it was a short yet complex trip, navigating several more veils and battling a few lesser demons along the way. Eventually though I finally reached that last cliff-face overlooking the forest as a whole. Kind of strange, it felt like it had been ages since me and Lady first arrived here when in truth it had probably only been two hours tops, considering all the battles and little distractions that came up since we arrived here.

I then remembered something. The drawbridge leading back to the castle! It had closed up after me and Lady had crossed it. Wouldn't it still be up?! I facepalmed to myself before calming down shortly after when I remembered, surely Lady, Trish and Dante would have all found ways around it.

Sure enough, once I went through the small cave, I found said drawbridge already lowered. I grinned before saying "Thank you, whoever saved me a few minutes." I instantly crossed the bridge and just like that I was back at Fortuna castle.

Naturally it was still snowing around the castle which confirmed the theory that the island was split into different weathers permanently. Nevertheless, I wasted no time heading along the stone path heading back towards the castle itself.

It was at this point that I was ambushed, a bolt of lightning struck the ground near me. As the bolt disappeared, a demon took its place. Judging by the bolts of electricity around it, I could tell that this was an electric-themed demon.

Image of a Blitz:

Appearances aside, the Blitz didn't look that much tougher than a Blade or a Frost

Appearances aside, the Blitz didn't look that much tougher than a Blade or a Frost. Because of this I just sighed impatiently and drew Eclipse. The demon teleported in a bolt of electricity, trying to get the jump on me. 

It was all for nothing though because as soon as it appeared behind me, I abruptly spun around and slashed across the creature's chest causing it to let out a roar shattering its electric field. It attempted to swipe at me with its claws however I leapt back with my grenade launcher, firing an explosive round into its chest knocking it to the ground. 

I then swapped to Gilgamesh and proceeded to land a barrage of punches that finally took the demon down for good. A grin spread across my face as I said "I'm going to enjoy having access to this. I should thank the Order."

I wasted no time heading into the castle. I was somewhat surprised to find that the majority of the place had been frozen over, large chunks of ice were all over the place. Nevertheless, I was able to get around them and managed to explore.

Eventually I found myself in another courtyard where I found an interesting sight. It was another Hell Gate however this one had already been destroyed. I grinned to myself before saying "Ah Dante. Seems you didn't take long to get even with me."

There was nothing left for me in Fortuna Castle, seems Dante had already destroyed the Hell Gate present here. So now it was just safe for me to head on to Fortuna itself where hopefully, I could put this whole thing behind me.

The tundra was just as unforgiving as before however I was still able to make my way through it. At last I came back down to the mine shaft me and Lady had come through before and this lead me back out to that opening.

This time I noticed something. On the hillside was another Hell Gate and just like the last one, it seemed Dante had already beaten me to it. Which was a shame because I told him he could have ONE demon all too himself. I muttered "Now you owe me Dante. Can't have you stealing all my fun."

Timeskip...

After that it was pretty straight forward. I battled through Fortuna's port until I was finally in the city itself. I walked down the demon infested streets cutting down various scarecrows, blades, frosts and even blitz. At last though I reached something of interest.

The large temple that I'd initially tried to reach the first time I was here. This time there was nothing stopping me as I approached the large structure. Slammed the doors open with a kick and fired Cinder.

Causing both of the people present to snap their attention towards me...

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, hopefully it's the last transitional chapter in this book, I include chapters like this so we aren't just jumping all over the place from one plot point to the next. I really hope you liked this chapter and as always, thank you for reading.