Chapter 115: The Rebirth of Vergil

Y/N POV

The illusion around us completely broke away revealing the same dark surroundings you would expect from the Qliphoth. Me, Dante and Nero all kept our eye on the familiar man stood in front of us.

He turned and stared back at us with the same cold and emotionless expression I'd come to expect from Vergil by now, even if it had been decades since I'd last seen him and I'm not even counting when he was under Mundus' control.

Image of Vergil:

I'll be completely honest, this was one of the few times I'd felt genuine fear towards someone

I'll be completely honest, this was one of the few times I'd felt genuine fear towards someone. Keep in mind that Vergil was the first adversary I ever fought to flat-out best me in combat and if it wasn't for my devil blood, he would have killed me for sure. True I did ultimately close the gap between us much like Dante did, but a long time had passed since then and given his obsession with power, there was no telling how much stronger he'd become. 

Even with that fear, I stood my ground, with wide eyes but my weapon ready. Vergil's eyes shifted between each of us before he looked down at the ground. At his feet was V's book that he always held and would read randomly. He picked the book up for a moment and analysed at it.

I remained motionless at first however I heard Dante abruptly saying "You've got some pretty big cojones for comin' back. I just don't know when to give up do you?!" He raced forward with his weapon at the ready. 

As he went in for a swing though, Vergil just turned to him and without even drawing Yamato, he knocked the attack away before thrusting the hilt at Dante's torso, the impact of which knocked him back. 

Dante soon recovered and struck the hilt also knocking Vergil back as well. The two brothers stood opposite one another. Dante glanced at us and snapped "Get out of my way you two!" He dashed forward again however in an instant, Vergil was in front of him and the two were locked in a viscous clash.

And for the first time since his rebirth, I heard Vergil speak, his tone was just as calm yet unnerving as I remember it. "Defeating you like this has no meaning." Despite clearly being tired from our battle with Urizen, Dante confidently commented "Come on Vergil, let's do this!"

Vergil remained calm and said "Heal your wounds Dante. Get strong. After that, we'll settle the matter." In a single swift motion, he knocked Dante back with minimal effort. And it was now that mind snapped into action.

I thought back to the final confrontation we had with Vergil years ago when we were much younger. I remembered standing between the twins and trying to talk sense into them to no success and it was this memory that fuelled my next action.

Fuelled by pure adrenaline, my rational mind seemingly vanished as I yelled "VERGIL!" This caused his attention to snap to me as I leapt in the air and brought Eclipse in for a downward swing, Vergil turned to face me, a grin across his face. He dropped into a crouching position and raised the sheath of Yamato to counter my attack with just as little effort as he used on Dante.