Chapter 8: Learning the Truth, Vergil's Ambition

Y/N POV

The path I took lead me up a long series of stairs. I thought briefly about that woman, concerned if she'd be able to hold her own without me but I was certain she would be fine. After all, she made it as far as she did before we decided to work together.

I followed the path and after some time it eventually lead me outside, it was raining heavily as I slowly made my way around an exterior path, I crossed a bridge with one of those golden statues outside it before going through another door. 

This one also lead me outside however this time, there was a narrow winding staircase leading around the exterior of the tower. This then lead me to one last shorter flight of stairs  that would take me to the top of the tower and at last, hopefully the answers I was seeking.

I don't know why but I felt uneasy. There was just this feeling in the air. Something was going to happen up here. I could just tell. The rain didn't help this suspicion either. Regardless, I buried any regrets and pushed up this last flight of steps.

Once at the top of the tower, I briefly glanced around at my. There were a series of stone pillars dotted around, a flag hung from one with a number 4 on it which I thought was strange. Though eventually my focus was aimed directly ahead.

Opposite me stood a man. He had his back to me though I could still somewhat figure out that he was only about a year older than me. He wore a blue long coat with his white hair slicked back. He must have sense my presence because he slightly turned his head to give me a sideways glance before saying "I was wondering if you'd make it this far. Y/N."

I was taken aback, how the hell did this guy know my name?! As he turned to face me properly, I realized just how similar he looked to that Dante guy I met earlier. I stepped forward and asked instantly "Who are you? And how do you know my name?!"

The man kept a straight face before simply saying "My name is Vergil. I'm the one who requested you be brought here in the first place." This shocked me for a moment however this 'Vergil' continued to stare at me with a blank expression.

Image of Vergil:

I swiftly drew Eclipse and pointed it at him snapping "Why did you bring me here?" Vergil just eyed up my blade and said "So, my suspicions were right

I swiftly drew Eclipse and pointed it at him snapping "Why did you bring me here?" Vergil just eyed up my blade and said "So, my suspicions were right. You do possess Eclipse. It only makes sense after all."

Rain continued pouring as I continued to grow more angered. Eventually I barked "I asked you a question Vergil! Answer me, why did you bring me here?!" Vergil just glared at me before explaining "I believe you were promised knowledge? Knowledge regarding the secrets of your past?"

I slowly nodded and lowered Eclipse slightly before saying "Indeed. Tell me what I want to know. What 'secrets' am I unaware of?" Vergil kept staring at me. Instead of actually answering the question he asked "How much do you know about the demon Sparda?"

I was caught off guard by this since this was the exact same question Arkham asked me before. What did the demon hero Sparda have to do with this? Either way, I answered in a similar manner to what I did last time with Arkham "I know about as much as anyone who is familiar with the legend."

Vergil cut me off abruptly by saying "Then you are aware that Sparda had twin sons correct?" I nodded slowly as he continued "Then it may interest you to know that I am one of said sons." This did shock me however I still asked "Then who's the other?" I already had a feeling I knew who it was.

Sure enough Vergil replied "I believe you've already met him. His name is Dante." Again, I just nodded, signalling that I understood however then Vergil said "But, what if I was to tell you that there was more to Sparda's story than most people know?"

I listened intently as Vergil continued "You see, Sparda had one more child. Illegitimately, with another human woman. Said child was kept a secret, known only to his parents and the mother of Sparda's other children."

My eyes narrowed in thought before suddenly widening as I caught on to what I was saying. A grin spread across Vergil's face as he said "You're understanding now aren't you?" What he said next made my blood run cold as I froze in pure shock.

"You Y/N, are Sparda's third and secret child. It's a pleasure to finally meet you, little half-brother."

I ended up dropping Eclipse and dropping down to one knee, this couldn't have been right. I looked up to see Vergil now standing directly in front of me, staring down at me. His face had returned to its initial emotionless expression.

I stammered out "No, it can't be. You lie!" I couldn't believe it! Demons murdered my mother, I had pledged my entire existence to wiping them out. Now if what Vergil was saying was true, I was actually the very thing I hated most.

Vergil just kept looking down at me before saying "You wield Eclipse. That should be proof enough, it is said only those with Sparda's blood can wield his weapons. Such as Yamato here." He raised his katana-like blade and briefly unsheathed it.

Suddenly though, Vergil spun around saying "Now on to the matter at hand." This snapped me out of my daze as I looked up and asked "What matter?" Vergil began explaining "This tower we stand on, actually holds an entrance to the Demon world."

Another wave of shock came over me, I stood up and asked "Why would you want to open a portal to the demon world?" Vergil gave me another sideways glance before saying a single word "Power."

I tilted my head a bit as he continued "The power of our father Sparda." I tensed up at the mention of Sparda's name, I was still in a massive state of shock over finding out I was half-demon.

Nevertheless, I continued to listen as Vergil explained "To open this gateway, I need blood. The blood of Sparda or his descends." He was now staring directly at him. His blade, Yamato I believe he called it, was raised slightly however it was still mostly in the sheath.

I noticed a look appear in his eyes as he said "I already have given my own blood to the seal, it won't be long until I have Dante's as well. That just leaves you." My eyes narrowed at him before I spat venomously "Like hell! There's no way I'm helping you." I picked up Eclipse and pointed it at him once again.

Vergil sternly said "Very well. I will admit, I had hoped that you would comply, but I guess I was too optimistic." With that, I dashed forward. Vergil didn't even unsheathe his blade properly and instead his raised it up slightly to stop my slash.

I glared at him as he just continued to stare at me. He looked as if he was sizing me up but he also looked somewhat bored. In a lightning fast movement, he parted from our clash and slashed outward with Yamato.

He was actually able to nick my arm, causing blood to appear even through my purple coat. I clutched it with my left hand before swiftly drawing Cinder and firing several shots towards him. What he did next was surprising.

He spun his blade around, stopping my shots with ease, he then neatly lined them up along the ground before launching them back towards me. I was just about able to dodge. I got back to my feet however to my surprise, I saw Vergil looking at something behind me. That's when he said.

"You showed up."

Author's Note: That's it for this chapter, I do apologize if it was underwhelming, I decided to split this chapter and the next one into two separate chapters, originally they were going to be one however I didn't want it to be absurdly long. Tomorrow's chapter should be the really interesting one, I do hope you like it. I also hope you liked this chapter and as always, thank you for reading.