Chapter 97: The Empusa Queen and a Watcher from Afar

Y/N POV

I soared back through the air. The battle with Nero remaining fresh on my mind. More specifically, my final decision to not just assimilate him then and there. I certainly could have, while Nero did surprise me with his new robotic arm, the battle had remained constantly one sided and in the end, I am almost certain I had plenty of chances to end things right then and there!

And yet, my mind remained like two sides of one coin. One was the side driven by my need to harvest. Then there was that other one that had decided to just leave, allow Nero to find out the truth about me. Hell, I don't even know WHY I was giving him this chance. I have no doubt that if he did figure things out, he would do everything in his power to take away my newfound gift. I wouldn't be letting that happen.

It was safe to assume that Nero had fled our battle ground by now so there was no point going back even if my mind kept telling me too. I would have to wait for him to appear again.

For now, it seems there wasn't really much reason to remain here, however I didn't want to travel back to the Qliphoth just yet. It would take time for Nero and whoever his company were to reach that area. It was just a matter of finding the necessary demons to harvest since I'd neglected Eclipse's desire with Nero.

After about ten minutes of just circling around the surrounding demolished city-scape, my eyes landed on something of particular interest. At first glance it appeared to be just a large open square surrounded by wrecked buildings.

Several Empusa seemed to be crawling and fluttering around. These demons were weak so wouldn't do much to sate me desire. Yet they were easy to slay and there were a great number of them so I had easy pickings.

I muttered "It's no Nero, but you will do." Before rapidly descending down towards them. I didn't attack straight away, instead choosing to land directly in the centre of the large open square, in the centre of the demon horde.

Just as I'd hoped, the Empusa demons all turned to face me, there were a mixture between the regular ones I'd encountered before the battle with Urizen as well as those red-tailed ones that I'd began seeing much more of recently.

As they got closer, I held Eclipse ready to strike just as one of them leapt forward, flapping its wings frantically. Before it had a chance to do anything more I lashed out, slicing through the demon and swiftly decapitated it.

It fell to the ground and vanished as purple sparks emitted. I wasted no time thrusting the blade behind me, stabbing into another Empusa's chest, it let out a screech and lurched over my shoulder before disintegrating as well.

With them dealt with, I spun around, spreading my wings out and asking "So, who's next?" All the Empusa demons rapidly lunged forward towards me which in turn caused me to smirk sadistically and said "All at once? More fun for me then."

I instantly cut through one demon and easily evaded as scratch from another before lashing out and slaying that one as well. After that I went on a crazed rampage as I relentlessly cut down demon after demon.

I kept this up, a constant mix of slashes and stabs, slaying each of the demons, each one making my bloodlust feel sated that bit more. And in the end, after an absolute bloodbath. I had thought I'd slain every demon in the area, I was wrong!

At first all seemed quiet. I caught my breath, not because I was exhausted, but because of the rush of energy I was feeling from the lesser demons. My head shot up when I heard the sound of heavy scurrying. Whatever was around was clearly insect-like however it wasn't as small as the Empusa that I'd been fighting.

Spinning around, I was met with the source of the noise. A new type of demon, its biology could be compared to the Empusa I had already fought and prevailed against, however this one was much larger and presumably much more dangerous! If I was to hazard a guess I'd say that I was currently looking at one of the Empusa Queens.

Image of an Empusa Queen:

This demon wasted no time attempting to strike me with one of its sharp pincers

This demon wasted no time attempting to strike me with one of its sharp pincers. Of course, I had no trouble flapping my wings to push my backwards, extending my left hand and firing a blast of purple electricity that hit the demon head-on.

The shock was enough to stun it as said electricity coursed around its body. I used this opening to rebound my wings, giving them another flap before racing forward, absolutely letting loose and raining hell down on the Empusa Queen.

I landed a slash right through its chest causing it to shriek in pain. It attempted to counter with a slash from one of its pincers, instead of countering it with my sword though, I effortlessly caught it with my hand.

A devilish smirk spread across my face as I suddenly sent a shockwave into the demon through my hand connecting with its pincer. The demon convulsed under the shockwave and in that moment it tried to perform a sneak attack which only lead to its end.

Its second pincer thrust out, attempting to stab me in the chest. However I swiftly countered by slicing the sharp limb clean off! And before the Empusa Queen could react, I thrust Eclipse forward and stabbed it in the chest!

With the familiar spark of electricity, the demon quickly dropped to the ground and disappeared. I landed on my feet, staring down at where it had been before, a grin spread across my face.

I suddenly got the feeling I was being watched, snapping my head-up I looked just in time to see a figure watching from far away. They must have seen that I noticed them because they disappeared out of sight.

My eyes narrowed before I spread my wings out and took off after them. I couldn't make out who it was, but I'd soon find out...

??? POV

Navigating the city ruins, I abruptly stopped when I came across a large open area where I found a battle raging that confused me. At first glance it just looked like one of those Empusa Queens battling an unknown demon however I then noticed what the unknown demon had in its hand.

ECLIPSE! The sword briefly held Y/N, after that initial battle with Urizen, he'd disappeared along with Dante and their two associates Lady and Trish. The fact that this demon was able to effortlessly wield Eclipse meant only one thing.

I had got so distracted in my internal thoughts that I hadn't noticed the demon who I could only assume was actually Y/N effortlessly slew the Empusa Queen. He stood motionless for a moment, seemingly regaining his composure before he suddenly snapped his attention towards me!

My eyes widened and I instantly took off running. I knew that whether this demon was Y/N or not, I had no chance of beating him alone even with all three of my familiars. If it was Y/N, I had no idea whether he had been corrupted by Urizen or not but even if he was attacking other demons, I was aware of Eclipse's curse, Y/N could have fully succumbed to the madness that once nearly claimed Sparda.

And if that was the case, he would certainly be a problem, we would possibly need him to have a chance against Urizen and there were only two people I could think of with a chance to get through to him...

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, I'm sorry for my absence these last few days, I should be able to do a few more chapters from here. The next one will take some more thinking, I don't know if Y/N will actually be in the next chapter however the one after that should make up for it with that 2v1 battle I've been hyping up. I really hope you liked this chapter and as always, thank you for reading.