Chapter 23: An Encounter with a Phantom

(By the way, I just thought I'd tell you in advance that this segment won't be as long as the last one. This is purely because the first game had less cutscenes than the third, fourth and fifth games so I don't have as much to go off of. I will try and still make it interesting though.)

Y/N POV

Splitting up from Dante, I went in through a door to the left of where we initially entered. I found myself in a narrow room containing a flight of stairs that went upwards but slowly curved out of sight. 

I began making my way towards the stairs however I was suddenly ambushed by four of those Marionette puppets. Each of them was a different colour and brandished a different kind of weapon.

Nevertheless, I drew Eclipse and held it close by as I eyed up each of of the puppets. All four of them rushed forward at the same time and while this may sound like a problem at first. But in all honesty it really wasn't because I just leapt upwards causing all four of them to miss their respective attacks.

I retaliated to their attacks by first spinning around and swiftly decapitating one of the Marionettes. I also kicked another one which caused it to fall over due to its weak wooden legs. I then landed on the ground and stabbed into the puppet, finishing it off.

Next, I sent my sword stabbed backwards into the third puppet causing it to keel over a bit before I pulled the blade out which then made it fall over and disintegrate. As for the final one, I simply stood and stared at it, smirking.

That was of course, until it rushed forward towards me. That's when I pulled Eclipse out to the side and timed a perfect slash right through the Marionette's torso, slicing it in two at the waist and causing it to fall to the ground before disintegrating.

Now that they were all dealt with, I began ascending the staircase, I found a door half-way up and decided to go right through it, though as soon as I did, I heard it lock and I was instantly jumped by more Marionettes.

As I continued up the stairs though, I began hearing a strange sound coming from up ahead. I could see the top of the stairs clear now and I pressed on, drawing closer to where I could see a set of double doors coming into view.

Before I could reach the top though, I stopped when I noticed that whatever was making the strange sound, it was getting closer. Suddenly, I leapt back as a large creature crashed through the ceiling and landed right at the top of the stairs.

Looking up, I saw that the creature was some sort of arachnid, however its body seemed to be made up of pieces of rock, held together by a lava-like substance. Nevertheless, the two of us stared at one another before the creature surprisingly SPOKE! 

"A human? What is a human doing here?" I just smirked at it before replying "I think you'll find I'm not just your average human. Who are you anyway?" The spider demon's voice was deep and cold as it replied "I am a Phantom, nothing more, nothing less."

Image of Phantom:

(Just to clarify, Y/N encounters the Phantom before Dante and this is in a different location than where Dante located it

(Just to clarify, Y/N encounters the Phantom before Dante and this is in a different location than where Dante located it.)

I raised Eclipse and I noticed that Phantom's eyes shifted to stair at the blade, I couldn't properly tell what it was thinking though it soon spoke up with a tone reflecting confusing and even shock.

"That sword, I have seen it before. It is one of Sparda's relics is it not? Only a descendent of Sparda could wield it." I smirked and pointed the blade at him before saying "Ah so you know this blade? Would you like to see how it works?"

Phantom didn't answer, instead it just stared down at me in silence before its mouth suddenly opened wide and a fireball was abruptly shot out towards me! Luckily, I backflipped, narrowly dodging the fireball causing it to collide with the wall creating a circular blast-mark in the stone surface.

I responded by bounding forward, slightly drawing Eclipse and slashing directly at Phantom's face, causing it to let out a pained growl. Next thing I knew, I was swatted back by one of its many legs.

Luckily, as I tumbled down the stairs from the blow's force, I stabbed Eclipse into the ground and was just about able to stop my decent. Countering by using my sword to push myself back up off the ground and rebounding back towards the Phantom.

Mid-way towards it I initiated my Devil Trigger. It attempted to shoot another fireball at me however I effortlessly dodged the attack and also dodged another swipe from one of its pincers.

I began a flurry of slashes and stabs. Due to my Devil Trigger, I was too fast for Phantom to respond in any way as I continued my ruthless onslaught. Eventually though, my Devil Trigger wore off, leaving me vulnerable and I leapt back.

Drawing my newly upgraded Cinder, I fired several shots into it. Since Lady helped me with her knowledge of firearms, I was able to modify Cinder so that it would shoot magical bullets similar to Dante's Ebony and Ivory.

The shots all hit Phantom head-on and it staggered back on all its legs before glaring at me and snapping "I will return son of Sparda! HE will not let you get away with this!" Before I could ask who 'he' was, Phantom leapt through the hole in the ceiling that it initially came through.

I remained still for a moment staring at the hole before eventually sighing to myself and continuing deeper into the castle.

Little did I know, this encounter was only the beginning of the things to come. I was in for TWO shocking revelations during my time at this castle...

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, I'm sorry for the late upload, this chapter took me a while to write. I really do hope you liked it and as always thank you for reading.