[ forty-one ]

|| ᴅᴀʏ : 79 || 6:03 p.m. ||

"Hey."

Levi snaps his fingers in front of (Y/n)'s face after he gets out of his cell. She flinches lightly, a bit startled since she's too distracted by her thoughts that she doesn't notice his presence in front of her. "Oh, you're already here!" (Y/n) beams at her patient, "Sorry, I was thinking about something. Let's go?"

Contrary to her usual self, (Y/n) was awfully quiet today. Levi didn't have the intention to speak to her about it, but her silence dragged on even after they exited the building and entered the east garden. By that time, Levi had already come to the conclusion that something was wrong.

"So you're not planning on talking at all."

Levi originally meant for that to be a question but it came out to be a stern statement. The female doctor stopped chewing on the snack she had gotten from a nearby vending machine. She glanced at Levi, who already had his full attention on her face. "I... didn't think you'd notice."

"You think I'm an idiot? Of course I would."

"Oh."

Levi's glare on (Y/n) hardens. She doesn't say anything after her short reply, and it irked him even more. Again, she's occupied with her own thoughts, incapable of paying even the slightest bit of attention to him. It's clear that the psychiatrist had her mind focused on something else and apparently, that something else was more important than her patient who's seated right beside her. Just what -- or rather, who -- is making her act as such?

The devil within currently feeding on the man's sanity answers the question for him in an instant.

(Y/n) winced at the strong pressure suddenly engulfing her wrist. Levi's virile grip... Even when she's used to it, her tolerance to the pain it brought was unchanging.

"Tell me."

Her fearful gaze meets his minatory glare. (Y/n) isn't dumb; she knows what he wanted to hear.

"Go on... what's stopping you, sweetheart?"

She's behind you, Levi.

Her tongue is tied. She couldn't tell him.

"Levi, you're hurting me." She tells him instead. With those few words, his hold softens along with his expression. (Y/n) almost sighs out loud when he eased.

He told her before that he would never want to hurt her, and if he does, he made (Y/n) promise to let him know. The girl couldn't be anymore glad that he keeps his word.

Levi takes her hand in his grasp, his thumb caressing the back of it while his eyes remained unmoving. He still expected an answer from the girl. "(Y/n)," her name rolls off his tongue smoothly, "you know I hate it when you keep things from me, don't you?"

"It's nothing serious."

"You don't sound so sure about that."

"But I am--"

(Y/n) paused as she froze on her spot after hearing her name uttered by a familiar voice from the distance. Levi diverts his attention from her. He heard it, too.