[ forty-four ]

|| 6:25 p.m. ||

"(Y/n)! Get back in here!"

Upon hearing her name being called, the psychiatrist moves her stilled feet and walks back inside the break room.

Why...

Now that she had finally gained the courage and is on her way to see Levi, suddenly an outside force stops her from doing so.

"How can someone breach from outside? Don't we have forces by the gates and along the walls?"

"They're either defeated or outran, though both seem unlikely," (Y/n) responds to Historia, who looks at the psychiatrist with eyes filled with fear, "but the intruder successfully entered one of the buildings, did they not?"

The blonde doctor glares at the door. "That's... That's impossible. No human can get pass one-o-four's barriers without any grievous wounds!"

"No average human can."

"What?"

Historia's discomposed demeanor was getting worse by the second. She turns to observe (Y/n)'s stance: the (h/c)-haired doctor stood frozen, her focus solely on the ground while she whispered something only she herself could hear.

"Do you..."

(Y/n)'s eyes moved to look at the smaller girl.

"Do you have any ideas as to who...?"

Yes, I do.

(Y/n) shakes her head gently.

But I don't want to think about it...

Don't make me think about it.

"The safe room should be ready by now. We just have to wait for the announcement to go there." (Y/n) stated, finally moving to go stand near the door instead. The thudding footsteps outside still didn't stop; looks like all soldiers are deployed to take action and basing from that, there's more than one intruder. As she had her ear plastered on the wooden door, several rounds of gunshots sounded from out the building, but still scarily close to where they currently were.

Historia's hand hovers over her mouth upon hearing the gunshots increasing, along with the incoherent shouting between the men outdoors.

"Our patients... (Y/n) our patients! Do you think they're going to be okay?"

"They should be instructed to go down through the underground passageway to get to the safe room first. Don't worry, they'll be fine." (Y/n) says even though she's just as worried as her fellow psychiatrist. Maybe more.

(Y/n) feels her phone vibrate in her pocket. She quickly takes it out and... Farlan's calling her?

"Far--"

"Thank god you're safe -- In a minute all of you in there should be making your way underground," (Y/n) hears the man panting from the other side, he's most probably on the move with his subordinates and still he decided to speak to her.

"You're in the medics' break room, right? Take the shortest route to the tunnel and take everyone with you. I've sent some wardens to help. Right now the commander's unit is on the front lines and we're on our way to back them up. You guys should be safe on your way down. I'll try to talk to you again later."