[ forty-six ]

"What do you mean she isn't here?"

Mikasa's eyebrows clashed together after hearing about (Y/n)'s whereabouts from one of the guards. Her nails bite into the skin of her palm as she scanned the entire area for Levi, a curse slipping past her lips when she doesn't see the familiar mop of black hair amongst the crowd.

"Inform the lieutenant of her status, now!"

"The lieutenant isn't here right now, ma'am."

Eren jogs up to the visibly frustrated Mikasa and ends up overhearing the last bit of her conversation with one of the soldiers. He gives her shoulder a light squeeze then the brunet turns to the armed man, "I saw him with his squad here just a while ago, did he not tell you anything before he left?"

"No, sir." He shakes his head along with his short response. Eren and Mikasa glance at each other.

"We need someone to find (Y/n), fast. Where's Jean?" The doctor searches the surrounding area for the said man, Eren following her lead and asking around for his location as well.

Mikasa didn't want to stand around while her best friend's in danger somewhere in the building. She was torn between doing something herself and calling someone to look for (Y/n).

"I haven't seen him anywhere. I bet he's still up there with the commander."

That's... the dark-haired doctor whirls around and her eyes land on Annie, who's currently talking to Eren.

"Fuck do you mean (Y/n)'s still not here? Where is she then?"

"She left the group a while back to get a lost patient," Mikasa enters their conversation, "she hasn't shown up ever since."

Annie inhales sharply, "Who's looking for her right now? Is there someone?"

"No."

The blonde stares at the taller woman in slight shock and confusion.

"Hey, you're the head doctor right? You won't get in trouble if you, I don't know, leave for a bit?"

Mikasa ponders over the patient's question. She might be punished for disobeying protocol, but this is the Zackley's only child we're talking about. Her best friend.

"Fuck it, I'm going."

"Take me with you, I'll help--"

"Whoa, hold on -- what are you two planning to do?" Eren gapes at the two girls in front of him. He intended to stop them because of the ongoing shootout, but he catches the stoic look on each of their faces.

"We'll be back soon, Eren. Just don't tell Sir Erwin anything about this just yet, we'll bring (Y/n) with us back for sure."

Eren can't say anything back to the ebony-haired woman who looked at him with trust in her eyes. He knew her too, it's gonna be pointless to stop her from doing something she already set her mind on.

With a short sigh, he gives her shoulder a squeeze. "You can count on me. I'll send Jean to you once they get here. Be safe, okay?"

"I will. You too."

○○|●|<>|●|<>|●|<>|●|<>|●|○○

"I told you to go help him!"

(Y/n)'s tears threatened to come rushing down her cheeks when Farlan finally sets her down on her feet, making her back slump against the wall for support. He ignores the girl's cries as he takes out the emergency gauze in one of his pockets.