[ twenty-eight ]

"We're done!"

(Y/n) storms inside the interrogation room with Mikasa and Moblit right behind her as soon as she sees Hanji's head peeking out from its doorway. She didn't expect to see the second half of the room completely filled with unknown white smoke; she couldn't see anything on the other side.

"Hanji, what happened?"

"We'll have to wait for the gas to clear out, you'll see." Hanji replies with a smile. She stands beside (Y/n) and pats her shoulder. "Don't worry, he's okay."

Mikasa also goes to the two girls before placing a hand on the thick glass.

"That's EHG-01, right?"

A tinge of dread made (Y/n) crease her eyebrows in concern for her patient after Mikasa identified the gas in the opposite room.

"So he won't remember anything that had happened here?"

Hanji nods her head, "You'll understand why I had to use it."

After waiting for a few seconds, a vent opened and sucked the smoke out of the room Levi was kept in, except they didn't see him even after the smoke was gone. (Y/n)'s eyes landed on the empty chair Levi was supposed to be strapped on.

"Where's Levi?"

Before Hanji could respond, (Y/n) had already opened the door and searched for the male.

Levi laid unconscious right beside the doorway, motionless. Moblit immediately called in the guards while (Y/n) was busy checking his vitals and making his body stand upright with Mikasa's help. She glanced at Levi's chair, staring at the broken cuffs and leather binds hanging off of it.

How...?

"Ma'am, let us." Two guards take Levi from (Y/n) and Mikasa and brought him out. Moblit instructs them to bring the male back in his cell with (Y/n) watching them.

Arms crossed, Mikasa turns to Hanji. "What happened in here?"

Hanji starts to explain while (Y/n)'s attention still lingered around the Levi's chair.

"Nothing I didn't expect happened... I just asked him a few questions that I assumed would trigger him -- as I should -- and he reacted naturally," the brunette narrates, the fascination still plastered on her face, "for me, at least."

"He broke his restraints." (Y/n) mumbles loud enough for the other two to hear. Mikasa hums, "Yeah, that doesn't look natural to me."

"Oh, don't be ridiculous! For the likes of him, that is natural! Anyway, I got nothing worth note-taking from him. Just your typical psycho, I guess." Hanji chuckles at the end of her sentence, waving her pen with her hand. Though a bit uncertain with the situation, Mikasa nods her head. (Y/n), however, was sure that there was something more that had taken place. Because if anyone knew Levi the best, it's her.

Levi doesn't rip leather belts and metal shackles apart just because of something trivial. There has to be something in what Hanji had told him that made him snap.

And (Y/n) needed to know what it was.

"I'll have to make sure the guy's okay. I'll see you two later."

"Bye, Mikasa!"

Right after the female Ackerman was out of sight, Hanji used both of her hands to grab (Y/n)'s arms and make the startled girl face her. An eerie grin crawls up her lips as she released a low giggle, at which (Y/n) was confused by.

"What is it, Hanji?"

"You're gonna have to be a lot more careful these days, (N/n)."

Despite the jesting tone Hanji used, (Y/n) could still sense the seriousness behind her message.