[ forty-two ]

|| ᴅᴀʏ : 82 || 10:34 a.m. ||

How did it come to this?

The voice that would whisper to her in the most inconvenient times... It's talking to her again.

(Y/n) had just asked the doctor about Annie's state, but his response did not make it into her ears as "someone else" was talking over him. It didn't help that she couldn't understand what the unknown voice was telling her, too. She wanted to know what caused this auditory delusion, she wanted to get rid of it because of how it hinders her from her work.

It's been days since it started and (Y/n) still couldn't do anything about it.

Her eyes fell on Annie's unconscious figure laying peacefully on the bed. The soft beeping from the machine beside her was the first thing (Y/n) hears after the voice in her head finally stopped speaking.

"Is that so..." Her automatic reply to the doctor on the other side of Annie's bed. "Please continue to update me, okay? If something happens I'm either inside my office or the lounge."

"Of course, doc."

After checking on Annie's condition, the psychiatrist goes to her safe haven, her office, and slumps on one of her couches. She resists the sudden urge to look at the time, knowing that she'll want to check on Levi's cell if she does so.

... How long was she planning on keeping this up?

She didn't know how to face him again after what had happened between them on her last visit. (Y/n)'s just thankful something worth skipping her meetings with Levi came up, perhaps this could buy her some time to think of what she'll say to him the next time they see each other.

And when would that be, she wonders.

The corner of her vision catches the dark shade of the black envelope resting atop her desk. (Y/n) marches over to her table and picked the document up, only to place it back down as soon as she read the first words on the paper. What possessed her to offer her help to the investigation regarding 104's traitors, anyway?

She huffs, deciding to consult Commander Zacharius about the encoded letter sent to her earlier this morning and how they came to the conclusion that a guard named Floch was the one behind all the past security failures.

○○|●|<>|●|<>|●|<>|●|<>|●|○○

"His fingerprint?"

Miche nods his head, passing another confidential file containing detailed reports from the research department to the psychiatrist. (Y/n) opens the folder, her teeth coming together as she sucks in a breath while her eyes run down the paper within.

"With our usual methods searching for analytical evidences, we wouldn't have caught this. Luckily we have better detectors only used for 'special occasions', and voila." Farlan, who stood beside his commander, speaks and points at the main suspect's print. "The fact that we were forced to use unique ways just to uncover this much of proof only means that the perpetrators definitely planned all of this. As for their reason why, we're still working on it."

"We're only telling you all of this because -- though we aren't certain just yet -- one of your patients might be involved." The commander casts his gaze on the perturbed doctor.

"I'm sure you're referring to Levi," (Y/n) sighs, "but why?"

"Our buddy Floch, once upon a time, came in contact with Kenny The Ripper."

With her mouth open because of shock, (Y/n) looks at Farlan who blurted out the unexpected information. When she doesn't say anything, Farlan continues.

"We've only seen seven people interact with Kenny so far, and five of them are already dead. It's not like we're jumping into conclusions here but... we never really know, do we?"

"When did they...?"

"Roughly two years ago."

Though surprised they managed to dig up that small but valuable intel, the questions she had already buried back then have now resurfaced along with the doubt and fear that used to circle her mind, and its beginning to eat away her internal composure.

"This is all just a heads-up just in case something unfavorable happens, Doctor Zackley. It's better to be safe than sorry, as the saying goes."

(Y/n) stands from her seat and smiles at Miche, "I understand. Thanks, commander."

"We'll update you as soon as we get more info. Please keep everything we've talked about to yourself."

"I will, don't worry. Thanks again."

She hears the door behind her click shut after she exited the commander's office. She shakes her shoulders, hoping the unnecessary thoughts from her head would come off the same as the tension in her muscles. The psychiatrist walks to the direction of the medics' break room, her face bright like always to those who happen to pass by on her way. As if her head wasn't in utter turmoil.

Floch Forster personally met Kenny before, it's not impossible for them to meet again.

Kenny and Levi are related... it's also not impossible for him to try and get Levi out of here--

No.

(Y/n) stops directly in front of the door to the break room.

He won't leave me.

He can't.

After what he'd done to me.

Then she enters.

| E | N | D | N | O | T | E | im back yay