THREE (II)

CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN - TORTURE IS A WAR CRIME

I couldn't concentrate for the rest of the day

I couldn't concentrate for the rest of the day. My mind was completely focused on the fact that John B and Sarah texted us to let us know they were fine. They're alive.

And they're in the fucking Bahamas. That's John B's luck right there.

Everybody's mood changed drastically. JJ put aside the hip flask, Kiara seemed more relaxed when someone mentioned Rafe or Ward, and Pope just looked like someone lifted a huge weight from him.

And me... What can I say? I feel like I've been born again. I don't have words to describe how I feel. I just can't stop smiling and giggling about everything.

Mr and Mrs Carrera are working on commands at The Wreck when we arrive. They turn to us when they hear our laughter, and Mr Carrera gives the boys a nasty look before focusing again on the kitchen.

"I never doubted them." JJ says and laughs.

I snort. "You're all a bunch of liars. None of you believed me!"

"We owe you five bucks." Kiara laughs too.

Mrs Carrera glances quickly at us, and checks her daughter is with us. "Kiara, I need those setups done by five!" She yells.

Kiara crunches up her face in disgust and sighs before answering back. "There are other people that work here."

JJ, Pope and Kie keep on walking to the dock, but I stay behind and wave at Mrs Carrera. I rest both of my hands on the counter and give her a warm smile.

"None of them are my children!" She yells at Kiara, but her daughter is too far away to hear her anymore.

"I can help you out if you need, Mrs Carrera." I offer.

She waves her hand, dismissing my idea and keeps on with her work.

"Don't worry, honey. Today's your free day, enjoy it. And call me Anna!" Mrs Carrera smiles sweetly back at me.

I nod with a grin and thank her. I catch up with my friends at the dock. Kiara and Pope are sitting on the spoiled wooden benches. JJ is standing, staring at the ocean, but when he sees me coming he sits down and tugs me from my wrist making me sit on his lap.

I've started to notice that he makes sure I'm always around him. And he makes sure we're as close as we possibly can. I think it's a way to make up for all the time we lost these past days. I know he missed me, I missed him too, but I needed time and space.

I drop my backpack and intertwine my hands with JJ's above my stomach. His arms are wrapped around my waist, keeping me secure in place.

"So," He says. "We going to the Bahamas or what?"