EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT - WE GOT NOTHING TO LOSE

"Look, I'm calling it off. All right?" The group of friends were reunited in the front porch of John B and Brizo's house. Pope and Kie were sitting on the couch while Brizo was standing next to her brother. JJ was standing a bit far from them, shaking his head in disagree. "Peterkin said if we stay out of the marsh she'll help us with DCS" 

"And you believed her?" 

"Yes, I believe her, JJ" Brizo didn't agree with John B. She thought that Peterkin just didn't want them snooping around. If DCS wanted to take them away they will. Not even Peterkin could avoid that. But John B had hope and she didn't want to be the one to tell him otherwise. 

"An actual cop, John B. You believed a cop" 

"JJ..." Brizo warned. 

"All we gotta do is stay out of the marsh for a couple days, and she'll help Bee and me out. It doesn't help that your ass was the one shooting a gun!" John B snapped at his best friend. 

"You shot the gun?!" Brizo didn't know about it. She was knocked out for the final round of the fight. JJ just gave her a quick look and kept on the screaming match with John B. Brizo turned to her other friends for an explanation. Pope just nodded and Kie mouthed I'll explain later.

"You know what I should have done? Just let Topper drown your ass" 

"JJ, what the fuck are you saying-" Brizo was starting to lose her patience. 

"Topper was gonna drown me?" 

"Sure looked like it" 

The boys kept screaming at each other but Brizo had enough of it. 

"Stop! Both of you, just stop! If you keep fighting then they win"

"They always win, don't they, man?" JJ said looking between the the siblings, "Kooks versus Pogues. They always, always win!" 

"Look, it's okay..." Kie coulnd't finish her sentence. 

"No, it's not okay! It is not! They don't want us to go down into the marsh and that means there's something valuable down there, and you know it" JJ said pointing his finger to John B.

"Uhm... I actually think he's right, John B" He looked at his sister and sighed. 

"Not you on his side..." 

"I'm not on his side! It's just... Think about it, John. Peterkin doesn't want us going to the marsh because there's something down there. Maybe it's money, I don't know, I don't care. Whatever it is, it's valuable if they don't want us to find it. We could use a little money, don't you think?" John B looked down, unable to stand her sister's look, "Peterkin is not gonna help us. It doesn't matter if she wants to. If the DCS wants to take us away they will. A sheriff from the OBX can't do anything about it" She placed her hand on his brother's shoulder but he shook it off. He walked past her and JJ and sighed.