TWENTY-FOUR (II)

CHAPTER SIXTY-EIGHT - ANGELS

We spent the night shitting our pants, scared that Muscle Man's friends could still be out there. We crashed together in our front yard, sleeping on our uncomfortable chairs and couch. I got the worst part, having to share the oldest armchair with JJ. I had to sleep on his lap, and let me tell you, it's good to take a nap, but not to spend the whole night.

Morning has been boring, just the five of us rambling about last night's fight. That is, until a certain blonde appears in our yard riding her bike. I get up from JJ's lap, stretching out, and I wave hello to Sarah, watching her climb up the bit of stairs.

"Welcome back, Blondie."

My words make everybody turn their heads in her direction, and for a second Blondie looks uncomfortable, as if she no longer felt part of us, like she didn't belong here. The feeling soon vanishes, when she notices the smug look on JB's features.

"Shouldn't you be on Figure Eight with your little group of polo players?" He says, pushing his sunglasses up on his head. "Or did you break up with Topper?" He makes a face.

"We're just friends." Blondie says, forcing a smile, and she walks a few steps more, till she's standing next me, leaning on the railing.

"He's just a friend. You have a lot of friends, Sarah Cameron." John B scoffs.

I throw my arm around Blondie, giving her a squeeze on her shoulder, and she looks at me with the corner of her eye. I nod, encouraging her.

"Yeah, and it seems like you've got some of your own too." I smirk, hearing Blondie's bitter tone, and I raise my fist, holding it up waiting for her to bump it. She does timidly, but with the corners of her lips tugging up.

"Oh, you're besties now?" JB scoffs with a frown, waving his hand at us.

"In fact, we are." I say, taking a defensive step forward folding my arms on my chest, letting Blondie stand behind me.

"All right, what are you doing here?" My brother says defeated, sitting up straight to then lean in, and rest his weight of his elbows on his knees.

"I'm here for Pope."

Honestly, those are the words I was least expecting to hear from Sarah Cameron.

I'm not the only one. All of us whip our heads to her, frowning and staring as if she just grew to more heads. I point to Pope, and look between Blondie and him. "Pope, as in Pope?"

Blondie nods her head, and turns to him with a friendly expression on her features, and looking like she's trying to contain her excitement. "I think I found the island room."