TEN (II)

CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR - EXPLICIT INSTRUCTIONS

If we weren't on a mission to clear John B's name, driving around Charleston would actually be fun.

"They're fancy people. They've had three governors in the family. They've run Charleston for, like, 300 years."

I whistle. "So they're rich, rich." I glance at Pope, who's concentrating on finding the right house. "You think they'll give you a scholarship?"

"I don't want to get my hopes up." He stops the car in front of a three story mansion. The four of us looking out the window.

"These Kooks make our Kooks look like Pogues." JJ says.

"What does that make us then?" I mutter.

"You sure this is the place, Pope? JJ asks, squinting his eyes, analyzing the house.

"Pretty sure."

"All right." JJ opens the door and gets out of the car.

Kiara and I are the last ones to get out, we both exchange a look, our gut telling us that coming here was a terrible idea. There is something about this place... I can't put my finger on it, but we definitely should get out of here as fast as we can.

I've also been having this weird feeling since we got here, not related to the whole Limbrey situation... It's like something inside me is telling me to walk away from here, not in a bad way but in a you should be elsewhere way, if that makes sense.

It feels like my body is tied to a threat, and as I walk closer to the metal gates, the threat tugs and tries to draw me in another direction.

My friends notice that something's not right with me. I've been seeing them exchange looks since I woke up feeling uneasy.

"Are you okay, Bee?" Pope finally asks out loud.

I force a tight-lipped smile and nod my head, "Yeah, I'm fine. Just tired and a little hungry."

Kiara looks at me, one of her eyebrows shoots up. "You sure?" I nod again.

"Bee, come on, we know you are lying." JJ joins the conversation. "What's wrong?"

The three of them are staring at me, and I feel too pressured to keep lying to them. I run a hand through my hair, and yank it a little while letting out a frustrated breath.

"I dunno. I just- I have this feeling." I try to explain. "Like I shouldn't be here."

"In Charleston?" Kiara frowns.

"No. Well, yes. Like, I should be in Charleston, but not here."

Kiara exchanges looks with JJ and Pope, and walks towards me. She pulls me in a hug, and it takes me a few seconds to hug her back.