TWENTY-FIVE (II)

CHAPTER SIXTY-NINE - CECILIA

"Guys, we're coming up on Freedman's Church." Pope says, following the indications on his phone to find the Angel Oak.

Freedman's Church has been abandoned for decades. It's such a shame. I've only passed through this place a few times, but it always breaks my heart seeing the building covered by more and more vegetation each time. It's like no one even cares that this place exists anymore.

"The church Denmark built for all the slaves he freed." Pope adds.

It must've been a home for so many people. I imagine Denmark talking to his people, giving speeches to move the crowd, thinking of ways to free more slaves, including his family. I hate to see a place with such a beautiful and tragic history become... that. Just an abandoned place.

Soon, John B has passed the church and our car is driving in the countryside, with fields on our sides. On the horizon, we can see the Angel Oak, standing up proudly above the rest of the top of the trees.

"Oh, shit! Tide's coming in." JB says.

I've been sitting in the back with the girls the entire time, JJ on the passenger seat next to my brother, and Pope on the made-up seat behind them. The Twinkie comes to a stop, and I frown, standing up and walking carefully to the front, holding hard onto my brother and JJ's seats to not lose balance.

Right in front of us there's a mire, obviously caused by the tide and currents. We have to be quick if we want to get there and come back before the tide fully comes in. We would be stuck on the other side of the island, otherwise.

Pope leans in, his head popping next to my elbow where I'm standing, and he reaches his arm forward, pointing in front of us. "Hey, wait a second. Look."

I follow the direction of his finger with a frown, but I quickly catch what he's trying to say. There's tire tracks on the mud, and it can only mean one thing.

I groan, punching the roof of the car with my fist. "Limbrey already came through here, fuck."

"Guys, we gotta go." Pope almost begs, with his tone serious and almost demanding.

"Mmm, what do you think, chief?" JJ says, looking at the way ahead of us, and pats JB's shoulder.

"I'm thinking it's looking a little dicey."

"Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with that statement."

JJ and John B shift on their seats, so they can share a doubtful look about keeping on with our crusade, and I have to say, in any other situation, I would have suggested waiting for another day. However, we already lost enough to the Limbreys.