THIRTY-SIX (II)

CHAPTER EIGHTY - LOCKED

"Repeat. All hands and all passengers report to the tween forward hull immediately." A man's voice sounds through the speakers on the boat.

John B has his face pressed against the grate, eyes wide and lips parted, listening carefully to the metallic voice, as if he couldn't believe his ears. He glances at Kiara, who looks surprised, and then his eyes find mine, and he smiles slightly.

"They did it." He whispers. "They took the bridge."

"That's our boy." JJ sings with a happy smirk, and jumps up in the box, helping John B take off the grate.

Pope taking the bridge with Cleo is the signal for us to come out and play, and lock them before they found out what was really going on.

I must admit that I'm nervous about this plan. Something doesn't feel right, and my gut is telling me it isn't going to work out. I mean, we didn't even think about how we were going to take the cross with us. And what about the Camerons? JB and Pope can't seriously think that Rafe and Ward are going to let us walk away that easy.

"Once they're all in the hull, Bee and I will lock them inside." JJ says.

"I'll go too. I can help." Kie says firmly, and I nod to her.

"I'll find Sarah and get the lifeboat." JB states.

"We'll meet you, load the cross and get outta here." Kiara finishes the plan.

"Let's roll."

JJ is the first one out of the container. His half his body out, he makes sure no one is around, and slides the other half out. Next goes John B, who is now used to getting in and out and does it smoothly.

Kiara gestures for me to go next, and instead of going head first, I decide it is better if I get out backwards. I take a deep breath, and sit on the edge. I hold onto the upper part of the metallic edge of the container, gripping it tightly making my knuckles go white.

I drag my ass back until I can get my knees out of the gap, and I try my best to keep my balance when I use my feet to push me and jump back, letting go of my grip on the edge. I land on top of some barrels, and I jump off them under the curious gaze of both boys already there.

Kie gets out next, imitating me and jumping out the container. The four of us make our way through the boat, following JJ since he's the one who's already been here before. We come to an abrupt stop, standing before a staircase that goes to the lower deck.

I catch a glimpse at the bright red light below, flicking on and off, and I feel cold sweat trickle down my forehead, getting more scared and anxious every second that I stand here, knowing we're about to step into the lion's den.

I look up and my brother's eyes meet mine. I stare at him, and I try with all my soul to memorize his face, because something deep inside of me knows that anything can go wrong today.