SEVEN (II)

CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE - NORTH DRAIN

When I woke up JJ wasn't there. I had a few missing calls from Pope, saying to meet him and Kiara at the north drain. Of course Kiara wouldn't pick us up with her car after last night.

I laugh, although it's not funny at all. I also have a text from JJ, saying Pope called him. He went to get his bike from his house, so we didn't have to walk all the way. He would be back to pick me up.

I got up and took a quick shower and put on some shorts and a red basic crop top. Didn't feel like dressing up too nice if we were going to be neck deep in garbage. I decided to wear two braids in my hair, since I didn't feel like wearing bandanas or ponytails today.

Still, the bandana I stole from my brother's room after he supposedly died, was tied on my wrist. A constant reminder that I was doing this for him. That I promised him he would come back home.

JJ got there a few minutes after, and we rode in his bike in silence. He would glance at me from time to time, to check that I was fine. I think he knew I wasn't very happy about meeting with Kiara today.

And she wasn't either. Pope and Kiara were waiting for us there when we arrived. She waved JJ hello, and didn't even bother looking at me twice.

"This is the north drain. It should've gotten washed into the gully." JJ explains. He drops his backpack on the dirt, before walking around and getting his feet on the dirty water. "So, if it got flushed out from this drain, it would've been pushed out to, like-"

"Somewhere in this trash." Pope sighed, looking around us.

Uncountable amounts of plastic bags, bottles and garbage in general lay around. The view was awful, but the smell makes you want to dip your nose with bleach. I step on the dirty water, next to JJ. He reaches his hand out to help me, telling me to be careful and watch where I step.

"Oh my God." Kiara sighs. "People who use plastic should be shot."

"Don't you use plastic straws at The Wr-"

"Okay, personally, I love plastic. Use it every day. Love the stuff." JJ cuts me off. And gives me a look raising his eyebrows. I raise my hands up in surrender, and I grip my teeth, annoyed.

Kiara completely ignores me, and I decide to ignore too. If she's gonna be a bitch, I can also play that game. Fucking hell, I can even do it better.

"Hopefully, you recycle it and don't let it flush into the ocean." She answers JJ.

"I thought you'd say something like that, so... trash bags." Pope pulls out trash bags from his backpack.

It's kind of sweet that he thought about Kie's concern about the environment. Also, it's perfect for the rest of us, cause that way she'll shut the fuck up about saving the turtles for the rest of the day.