SEVENTEEN (II)

CHAPTER SIXTY-ONE - SUE US

10:20 pm.

We're sitting in silence in the ambulance. JJ managed to find some white clothes that could pass as uniforms if you didn't look too close.

I'm biting my nails, anxious about this plan.

"Waiting on your call, John B." JJ talks to himself under his breath. He's tapping his fingers repeatedly on the wheel. "Come on, buddy."

"What if he doesn't-"

"He will." JJ stares at me right in the eyes.

I nod, forcing a nervous smile and letting out a sharp breath. JJ pushes his luck, and holds my hand, taking it up to his lips, and there he leaves a kiss, still looking at me in the eyes. The corners of his mouth tug upwards, seeing how I'm battling myself to stay serious and angry with him.

I pull my hand away from his. His hand stays in place, and he curves it into a fist, a smug look on his face, and he sighs, bringing his hand down.

"You can stay mad at me forever, babe."

I don't answer, and I turn my head away, because if I look at him I'll break and I'll give in and we don't want that. We're making a point. And we can't be horny or have a soft spot for him now.

"All right." JJ says, and I can feel the amusement in his voice. "If that's how you wanna play..."

He puts his hand on my knee, and drags it up, slowly. I hold my breath. I know he's doing this to get a reaction out of me, but he's also doing it because it distracts him from what we're planning on doing.

His hand is very high up on my leg, and he's slowly making his way in between my thighs, nudging them apart with his knuckles.

His hand flies back to the wheel when we hear a police siren chirp. We share a terrified look, we didn't count on this happening.

JJ takes a deep breath, and plays it cool, trying to cool normal and collected, as if this was just another night shift for him, as any other night.

The police car parks next to us, and the cop rolls down his window.

"I hate when it's slow like this, you know?" The cop sighs.

I smack JJ's leg, gesturing for him to answer the cop with my head. He clears his throat and says, "Tell me about it, man."

"Hey, what happened to Ricky? He bang out?"

The cop leans down to have a better look at JJ, and I push myself back as much as I can so he can't see me sitting in the ambulance. I shut my eyes tight, and press my lips on a thin line, begging for the man to ignore my presence.

"Something like that." JJ nods.

"One three Eddie. We got an unknown at KC Detention." The voice of a woman on the radio says.