FORTY-THREE

CHAPTER FORTY-THREE   -   THE PHANTOM

Kiara pulled over in front of JJ's house

Kiara pulled over in front of JJ's house. The girls had never been inside, the blonde never let them walk inside. He was afraid that his father would hurt them somehow. 

JJ looked out the window and then put his head down with a sad smile.

"Home sweet home" He said. 

"Do you want me to come? Cause I'll come" Brizo said from the back seat, placing his hand on the boy's shoulder. 

"No. This will only take a second" He said getting out of the car. 

Brizo sighed watching the boy walk inside his house. She could tell he was anxious. 

"Do you hink he'll be okay?" Kiara asked.

"I hope so" 

"Maybe his dad isn't home" Kie suggested.

"Their car is parked over there. I think he is there, probably drunk" Brizo muttered.

"I can't believe we didn't know he was abusing JJ... I'm such a horrible friend" 

"It's okay, Kie. He has always been good at lying about his scars and bruises" She shrugged. 

"I know, but we could have helped him somehow"

"You already did. Everytime you let him eat at The Wreck. He isn't gonna tell you, but I promise you he is very thankful" She said making Kiara smile. 

JJ walked out from the front door making the girls turn their heads to look at him. He looked like he had been crying. He got inside the car and Brizo placed her hand on his shoulder, giving it a little squeeze. 

"How'd it go?" Kiara asked with a smile. 

JJ smiled and flashed them the keys on his hand. Kiara nodded and started the car again. JJ held out his hand in between the front seats and Brizo held it. She interlaced their fingers and rubbed her thumb on his hand. She felt the boy relax with her touch and smiled. 

"Okay, let's go" Kiara said and drove away. 

It had been a couple of minutes with none of them talking. Brizo kept thinking about plans for her brother to get away in the Phantom. Would the boat be fast enough for him to escape? 

"It'll be fine with the Phantom" JJ said out loud, as if he could read her thoughts. "She'll get out quick" 

Sirens blaring made Brizo and JJ try to hide their faces, so the police car that passed next to them wouldn't recognize them. 

"They're still looking. It's a good sign" Kiara said smiling at Brizo through the rear-view mirror.

"Yeah, I guess" She tried to smile back.