ONE

CHAPTER ONE - PROLOGUE

The sun was starting to set

The sun was starting to set. The island was beginning to take on an orange hue and the summer breeze made a chill go down the teenagers' spines.

Brizo watched her twin brother standing on the top of the roof, trying his best not to fall. Watching his curls fall and him raising one hand to push them out of his face, she sighed, thinking how she was the smart one out of the two of them.

"That's what, a three-story fall to the deck? I give you about a one in three chance of survival" Pope said. 

The boy was standing almost next to Brizo. She had known him for a few years now, and soon after they met he was one of her best friends in the entire world. Brizo loved how he knew the answer to almost every question you could think of, and she admired how he also was the conscience of the group. Brizo had always wanted to be a little bit more like him.

"Hmm," John B hummed, frowning and bringing out his finger to feel in which direction the wind was blowing. "Should I do it?" He asked, his frown turning into a sly smirk.

"Do it. Then I'll get the bigger bedroom" Brizo answered, looking up at her brother. She smiled at him when he showed her his middle finger.  

The truth was she was terrified that her clumsy and tipsy brother could fall and then she would be all alone. Their mom left when they were little, Brizo didn't want to know where she was, although John B probably knew her location. On the other hand, their dad got lost at sea nine months ago. Who gets lost at sea these days? 

John B was sure that he was still alive somewhere while his twin had lost hope a few months ago. She started working a shift at The Wreck - their friend Kiara's restaurant. She knew they would need more money to pay bills and food. Uncle T was supposed to be their legal guardian but he left one day to work in some other state and never came back. So it was only them. Brizo often found herself wishing for one of their parents to come back, or even uncle T. The girl used to play pretend and put on a smile for her twin and their friends, but deep down she was worried they were completely alone in the world.

She pushed away the thought and looked at her other best friend, JJ. The blonde boy was sitting on the scaffolding, his legs dangling off and his hand holding an ice cold beer. Brizo looked away when he looked her way. She always had thought JJ was attractive, she even had a little crush on him back when they were kids, but she didn't need him to know that.

They grew up together. One day, John B brought him home with him from school and introduced him to her.

"This is my new best friend, JJ" He said. A little JJ with his messy blonde hair waved at the girl. "JJ, this is my sister, Brizo. You can be her friend too."