TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE - THE LUCKY (DEATH) COMPASS

"My dad. My dad's office" 

Brizo had spent countless nights in that office with her father. The man was obssesed with finding an old wreck, The Royal Merchant. It sank during a storm in 1829 and with it a furtune in gold. Big John dedicated his whole life to that ship. Brizo always thought that was the reason their mother left - she couldn't stand that he put a wreck before her. 

John B would laugh at his father, telling him he would never find that wreck. Brizo thought it too, but she never told her father. She loved spending time with him researching and going to open sea with their boat. Now he was gone and there was nothing left of him, except his office. 

The pogues followed John B through the house, he took them to the closed door that led to his dad's office.

"He always kept the office locked because he was worried about his competitors stealing his Royal Merchant research. We used to laugh at him like he was gonna find it-"

"You used to laugh at him" Brizo emphasized. She never liked how John B treated their father when it came to the Royal Merchant. 

"But now that he's gone, I've just kinda...We just left it as he kept it" He said as he pulled out the key to the door from his pocket. 

"Yeah, for when he gets back" Kie assured him while looking at the rest of the group. JJ and Pope made confusion faces and Brizo just scoffed. She didn't understand why their friends tried to get John B's hopes up. Their father was clearly not coming back. 

"Yeah" John B agreed. He slightly pushed the door and it opened. The group walked through the doorway while looking at their surrondings. 

"I've slept over here like 600 times, and I've never seen this door opened" 

"Here, look" Brizo knew exactly was she was looking for, so she went to the wall and took down a cork board. It had pinned several photographs of the Routledge family tree. She put the board down in a table and all the group gathered around her. John B on her side. "This is the original owner, right here"

"Okay. Robert Q. Routledge, 1880 to 1920. There's the lucky compass, right there" Pope pointed at the compass a man was holding. 

"Actually, um... Our father told us he was shot after he bought it" Brizo explained. Her friends looked at each other not liking the situation very much. 

"Then the compass was shipped back to Henry" John B kept explaining."He was killed in a crop-dusting accident when he had the compass. After he died, the compass was given to Stephen" As he talked, he pointed to different photographs remembering everything their father had told him and his sister.

"Stephen had the compass with him when he died in Vietnam" Brizo concluded. 

"Let me guess, he died in action, right?" JJ chuckled.