NEW YEAR'S DAY SPECIAL

a/n: I'M SO LATE LOL I'M SO SORRY BUT I JUST THOUGHT OF THIS AND I HAD TO WRITE IT. HAPPY (LATE) NEW YEAR YOU AWESOME PEOPLE!!!!! I HOPE 2022 TREATS YOU WELL, YOU DESERVE IT. LOVE YOU ALL LOTS. ENJOY!

NEW YEAR'S DAY

December, 2019

December, 2019

Dad wasn't here on Christmas' Eve. He said he'd be back in time to celebrate Christmas with us, but he isn't here. John B and I spent the night with a drunk uncle T. My brother brought home a turkey, I didn't bother to ask where he got the money for it -  I simply cooked it. I also made some mashed potatoes and vegetables.

We sat silently at the dinner table, with the static sound of the once again broken TV. I'd have to call someone to fix it. Uncle T barely ate before he stood up with a can of beer in his hand and left the house without saying a word.

JB and I missed the Pogues. They were celebrating the holidays with their families. Kiara had a whole party planned and her family from other states was visiting. Pope was supposed to be having a quiet and relaxed dinner with his parents. Even JJ was at home. Apparently his dad was sober, and treated him better for a few days.

My twin and I didn't even exchange presents. Since dad left, money has been tight. We rely on my job at The Wreck, and we couldn't afford buying anything we didn't truly need. I know John B had been searching for a present for me, though. He's a shit liar.

It's been a weird week since then. I don't know where dad is. He never picks up the phone, and I've convinced myself he's okay, studying old books and investigating somewhere where phone signal can't reach.

Today's New Year's Eve. On Christmas day, Kiara facetimed me and we talked for hours. I had to admit, that iPhone she got me for my birthday was truly amazing. Anyway, the thing is she felt bad after I told her how my night went and she decided on the spot that we were going to have a party on New Year's Eve.

Pope sent me a list yesterday with all the food he and Kie were bringing, and I couldn't help but feel guilty. I know Kiara has been stealing leftovers from the restaurant and placing them in our fridge for a few weeks now. She knows about Uncle T being wasted everyday and not being much of help. I think it's incredibly sweet of her, however, I don't like relying on anyone. And her parents are paying me already for my work. I don't need anything else from them.

I get out of the shower and check the time on my phone. I still have an hour until our friends arrive. I dry myself quickly with the green towell I put apart just for me to use, and I wring out my hair with my hands.

Once I'm dry, I put on the clothes I brought with me. Today's cold outside and I choose to wear a short black dress that ends midthight. The edges are made of lace, and the strips are tied in a lazy ribbon on my shoulders. Knowing I'd be cold, I put on tights and on top of them knee-high dark green socks with my black boots on. Finally, I take an old brown-ish cardigan I took from JJ's closet months ago.