THIRTY (II)

TW (in case anyone needs it): car crash, mentions of blood

CHAPTER SEVENTY-FOUR - POPE'S HIGH

"Uh, Pope," Sarah says worriedly, sitting on the back next to me, clinging to the handles on the sides of the car for stability while she gulps, "you're driving pretty fast

"Uh, Pope," Sarah says worriedly, sitting on the back next to me, clinging to the handles on the sides of the car for stability while she gulps, "you're driving pretty fast."

Pope just howls excitedly in response, and I'm trying to understand why the hell did we let him drive knowing what could happen. Especially when it's pitch black outside.

Also, given how recklessly Pope was driving, and after having JJ hitting his head several times due to bumps on the road, we managed to fit the four of us in the back seat, while Kiara chose to sit next to Pope, to keep an eye on him.... and her father's truck.

The four of us are squeezed together, there's barely space for us to move, and I'm practically sitting on JJ's lap by now. He's holding me steady with one hand around my waist, and the other one holding to the grip above his head.

"Pope, last to judge, but I think you should slow down a little." JJ suggests, scrunching his lips, and his eyebrows drawing together.

"That would definitely delay our arrival to the cross. We gotta get there."

"Why did we let him drive again?" Kiara asks with a high-pitched tone, looking at Pope as if he just grew another head.

"I said I'd rip your ears off." Pope answers at the same time Blondie does.

"He said he'd rip our ears off."

"Honestly, at this point, that sounds much better than this car rid- Fuck!" I groan, when another bump on the road makes me crash my head againsts JJ's.

He shuts his eyes in pain, and throws his head back on the headrest, hissing through his clenched teeth, and I give him an apologetic smile. He opens his eyes, and shakes his head with a shrug, as if saying he was fine.

"I was joking about that, by the way." Pope clarifies.

"Thanks for letting us know, Hannibal." I scoff, letting go from the handle on the side to rub the back of my head in the point where it hit JJ's forehead.

"That's a really funny joke." Kiara adds, smiling through her worries and fear of being in the car. Especially next to Pope.

"Hey," John B calls for Pope's attention, leaning in, brushing his shoulder with Blondie's and making her bite her lower lip to stop it from trembling. "How ya feeling, buddy? How ya doing?"

"Uh, fantastic. I don't know what JJ's cousin gave me, but I am moving!"

"I've never seen him so... high. Not even with weed." I mutter, watching amazed how alive Pope looked right now.