SIX (II)

CHAPTER FIFTY - THE DOG ATE OUR HOMEWORK

"Look, it was right here, and this is where that maniac claimed his next victim." Kiara explains to Shoupe, while signaling to the place where we were standing.

I sigh, and pinch the bridge of my nose. I knew something like this would happen. We never win. Not even once.

"Uh-huh. His next victim?" Shoupe isn't even writing anything down. He looks tired. Tired of us. He glances at me, and I look away.

I'm staying behind in this whole situation. I'm too tired of running to the police and trying to ask them for help. They never help. All they do is kill innocent people, or send them to jail. They're fucking reason Ward isn't locked up and my brother is away in the Bahamas.

That last part didn't sound too bad. For him, at least. Things here are a fucking nightmare.

I lean back, back pressed against the wooden pillar behind me, and I fold my arms over my chest. I just want Kiara to stop. I just want to go home.

"Right. How long ago did you say it happened?" Shoupe asks.

JJ crouches down, and touches the floor. He inspects his own fingers, probably confused about how it is all clean. There's not a drop of blood in sight. The storm must've helped Ward with that.

"Forty-five minutes ago, Shoupe." JJ says, standing up.

Shoupe finally writes something down in his notebook. He glances at me one more time, one eyebrow raised.

I shrug. "What? What do you want me to say?" I mutter.

"Okay." Shoupe sighs. "And so, Ward Cameron just popped one off and shot him."

"Yes." Kiara answers barely in a whisper, exhaustion taking over her body.

"Execution style? And then cleaned it all up in 45 minutes?"

I chuckle and shake my head. JJ looks at me worried, and walks up to me, and stops in front of me. He pulls me in by my arms, and holds me tight. I take a deep breath, filling my nostrils with the smell of his cologne, and the smell of rain.

"Obviously."

"We filmed the entire thing." Kiara states.

I groan and push JJ slightly aside, so I can see Kiara better. JJ's hugging me from behind, and I reach out my hand to tug on Kiara's sleeve. She turns and frowns.

"You're digging your own grave saying that, just so you know." I whisper.

"You filmed it?" Shope asks, not an ounce of emotion in his voice.

"Yes, but we can't show it to you because I stepped on JJ's hand, and then he kicked Pope, and then Pope dropped the camera, and it broke."

I wish Ward had shot me so I wouldn't have to listen to this.