PROLOGUE

≡3rd Person POV≡

◃5 Years Old▸

"Sorry kid, it's just not happening," the quirk doctor slumped back in his chair as he began explaining joints in feet.

The little boy he was talking about, however, was barely paying any attention to his words. He sat in his seat beside his worried mother, stunned. His mind had stopped working and it was as if the rest of the world had faded away.

He barely registered when his mom thanked the doctor and brought him out to the car.

He didn't hear her words of encouragement.

He didn't see her sympathetic glances.

He didn't see her poorly hidden expressions of fear.

"Welcome home!" A tall, brown haired man with a scruffy face with freckles cheered as his wife and son came through the door. "How did it go? Did you get a quirk as amazing as Katsuki's?"

The man stared at his solemn family for a moment before misunderstanding their tear filled eyes.

"Hey, Zuki, it's ok," he bent down and wrapped his son in a gentle hug.

For a moment, Izuku broke out of his small mental trance and felt a spark of hope from his father's encouragement. That is, until his next words came out.

"I'm sure whatever quirk you got, it can still help you become a hero, just like All Might!" Hisashi didn't notice how the small boy stiffened as he continued. "Whatever quirk you got, just be grateful. It's better than being quirkless no matter what."

In the corner of the room, Inko covered her mouth to muffle her sobs as she turned away.

"So, Zuki, why don't you tell me what quirk you got?" Hisashi pulled away from the hug to look at his son.

Izuku stood, frozen with fat tears building up in his eyes. He met his father's gaze and the dams finally broke letting the waterfalls loose.

"I-i-i-i'm q-q-quirkless," Izuku began sobbing into his hands as he stood in front of his father, not wanting to see his reaction. He stood there for 5 minutes until his sobs turned into small hics and he dared a glance at his father.

He hadn't moved since Izuku told him. He had his head down with his hair covering his eyes. The sight scared Izuku as he had never seen his dad like this before.

"D-dad?" It was barely a whisper but the words echoed throughout the apartment entrance.

The echo of the unsteady voice was overpowered by the loud slap of skin on skin. From the corner, Inko violently flinched as she took another step away from the scene.

Izuku's head was snapped to the side as he stared wide eyed at the wall. He slowly lifted his trembling hand up to his face where his father had slapped him. The stinging feeling throbbed as his heartbeat quickened.

"I am not a father to quirkless scum," his father hissed with venom lacing his words.

Izuku slowly turned his head to look at his father. His mind wasn't able to understand anything that was happening.

"W-wha-"

"DID I SAY YOU COULD SPEAK?!" Hisashi rounded his fist back and punched his son in the gut, making him tumble to the ground clutching his stomach with tears streaking down his freckled face.

"Hisashi! He's just a child! What are you doing to our son?!" Inko finally found her voice after seeing her son fall to the ground at the hands of her husband. She began walking over to the man but stopped after he snapped his head towards her.

"It is not my son," he stepped around the fallen boy's body and walked out the door.

◃Next Day▸

"Izu! Over here! What took you so long?" A small ash blond boy waved over his green haired friend.

A few days prior, they had agreed to meet at the park to share the results of Izuku's quirk.

The bush haired boy shuffled over to his friend with his bandaged face down.

"H-hey Kacchan," he mumbled as he began to fumble with his shirt hem.

Overlooking his timid behavior, the blond kept talking. "So?? How'd it go? What quirk did you get? It's probably really cool and practical knowing you. Although mine's still better," he smirked as he popped small explosions from his hands. He failed to notice the small flinch from his best friend.

"A-about that.." tears already began welling in his eyes. "I-i actually d-didn't get a q-q-quirk."

"Huh? What do you mean? And speak up, I can barely hear you."

"I-i'm q-quirkless."

There was a stunned silence from the obnoxious blond as his mind began processing what that meant.

"Oh... I see..." The two young boys stood together in an uncomfortable silence for a minute before the blond broke it again. "Do.. Do you still want to be a hero..?"

The shorter of the two looked up to see his friend's downcast face. He was surprised at the question, but a hesitantly determined look overcame his face as he answered.

"Yes."

"No," the blond suddenly snapped, shocking the greenette.

"W-what do you mean Kacchan?"

"You can't be a hero. You're just a useless Deku," he spat.

"K-kacchan..?"

"A quirkless extra like you can never be a hero. Just give up," with that he pushed his friend and walked away.

As he walked, tears began forming in his ruby eyes at the words he had said to his best friend. Those tears began falling as he heard his friend begin crying and running away.

It's for the best. I need to protect him.