Chapter 3

≡Izuku POV≡

What the heck?

Am I still asleep and having one of those dreams that feel like they last days?

I was confused out of my mind on Saturday when I woke up on a futon beside my mother's bed with no new injuries.

I sat down at my desk in my room reading about All Might's giant fight last night and began to think.

Did he get too drunk and pass out? If that's the case, he should be home around noon and be even madder.

Nope.

My mind struggled to understand what was happening as I laid back on my futon after spending more time with my mom.

Every morning when I woke up, I expected to see him in the kitchen with his quirk ready to give me the beating of a lifetime. Every night I laid down and tried to understand that he didn't seem to be coming home.

Am I finally rid of him?

I was deep in thought as I walked out my front door on Monday morning for the first time since pre-school. I walked down the stairs to be greeted with an almost equally confused Kacchan.

"What the hell? You used the door?" He tilted his head to the side trying to understand what was happening.

"I did..." I mumbled.

"Are you going to explain how you were able to?"

"He... He's not home..." At this Kacchan's eyebrows shot straight up and his jaw dropped.

"What do you mean?"

"He didn't come home on Friday..."

"REALLY?! Izu! That's great news! That bastard's finally gone!" His face lit up as he walked over to me and handed me my food.

"But... What if he comes home..? And where is he..? Why isn't he here..?"

"Izu, while these are all good questions that'd I'd also like answered, you need to relax. Stop thinking of the 'what if's and be happy. He's finally gone! And from the looks of it, he's gone for good! So don't worry that giant brain of yours," he ruffled my already messy hair and smiled as we started walking.

"I guess you're right... But I'm still going to be careful.."

"If you're going to be careful until he gets back, you might be careful your whole life! Sure, be careful for the first few weeks if you need to be, but if I were you, I'd be celebrating! Good fucking ridance!"

I smiled hearing his words, beginning to wonder...

Maybe I can have a normal life after all...

◃11 Years Old▸

Well, this isn't good.

And here I was just starting to think I could have a normal life.

I just had the worst 12 hours of my life, and that's saying a lot with the life I have.

It was a normal morning when I woke up and found my mom having another... episode. Except today, it was much worse. There was blood and bile everywhere.

After I got her somewhat stable, I went to the medi clinic to see if they have anything stronger or better for her, unfortunately, when I described it to the pharmacist, Joe, he told me that she should be taken to the hospital immediately.

Yeah, I can't do that. You see, I don't have any money, legal identification that hasn't expired, or an excuse on why she has been in an apartment with a serious, unidentified illness for almost 2 years with only an 11 year old to take care of her.

So, no hospitals.

Luckily for me, this particular pharmacist is like 80 and loves kids. He's been working here for longer than I've been alive. He used to give me bandages and some burn ointments when he was around.

Of course, I've never actually told him anything about him and only brief descriptions about my mother's condition, but I'm pretty sure he has a sweet spot for me.

This theory was proven correct today when he told me to stay after closing. After he closed the store and blinds, he gave me some new medication. He told me this stuff should help, but costs a fortune that I can pay him back for. He did, however, tell me that if I don't pay at least 50% of the initial cost in the first 6 months, his clients will have both of our heads.

Lucky me, I have no choice.

I took the medication and gave a dose to my mom.

Giving your sick mother a needle to the neck is not enjoyable.

As she slept, I went back to my room and laid down in my bed staring around. Scattered everywhere were a bunch of half assed inventions I've made to keep me occupied throughout the years. I've always loved creating things. It gives me complete control over something. Ever since my mom got sick, I've been meaning to make her something that will help when I'm not around.

Now, how the fuck am I going to get this money?

I can't get a job, I'm 11.

I haven't told Kacchan about Mom, and I wouldn't want to ask the Bakugo's for this much money. They already do enough.

I seriously doubt that I could ever even fathom the idea of stealing. I may be quiet, but I don't think I can steal enough to pay for this.

I'm too young for a loan or anything with the bank really.

I sighed as I began to fumble around with my laser gun in the making.

Wait...

I literally face palmed as I stared at my work desk.

What can I say, sometimes you're smart, sometimes you're oblivious, and sometimes you're a reckless idiot who is just asking for stress and danger.

I can't believe my brain came up with this, let alone agreeing with it.

This is so stupid.

But so smart.

And it's my best option.

How do you even start something like this?

Do I put an ad on kijiji saying "Hey, I'm a smart 11 year old in debt who can make a bunch of shit. Want anything? Ring me up!" yeah, no.

Well, if I'm going to do this, I better start figuring out the details.

I guess I'm going to be paying off my debt with the money I make from creating custom inventions.