Chapter 31

≡Izuku POV≡

◃End of School Before Summer Break▸

"Have fun at camp! When you guys get back I'll be ready to show you all my new babies!" Mei called as she ran away giggling with a bag full of materials.

"Some people will never change," Hitoshi sighed. Even though he didn't take the finals with us, he still gets to come to the camp. He just needs to join Denki in the extra classes.

"I'm just glad I'm still allowed to come!" Kaminari cried as he put his hands behind his head with a relieved sigh.

"Hey! Guys!" We all turned as Uraraka and Mina came running up to us.

"What do you extras want?" Kacchan scoffed as they stopped in front of us.

"We were wondering if you wanted to go to the mall tomorrow? Everyone is coming to buy things for camp, please say you'll come!" Mina squealed.

"Sure I could use some more things," Denki smiled.

"I'm down," Hitoshi shrugged.

"Don't you have work tomorrow?" Kacchan asked me.

"Nope! After today I have the whole break off because my boss is going on a trip. Although I don't think I can go," I mumbled as I fiddled with my hands.

"What? Why not! You just said you don't have work!" Uraraka whined.

"You damn nerd. We can both come, what time?" Kacchan asked as he looked at them.

"11am! We can all eat lunch together at the food court too!" Mina said as they started walking away.

"But Kacchan, I don't have any money to spare. I'm really tight right now and I'll be off work all break," I spoke lowly so that passing people couldn't hear, although I was very aware of Denki and Hitoshi.

"It's fine Izu, I can pay for you. Besides, you can really use new stuff."

"Kacchan! I don't want your money. And my things are fine!" I crossed my arms and looked away.

"Have you even cleaned your house since I was last there?" He raised an eyebrow.

"That's not important."

"Have you even gone into the kitchen or living room?"

"Kacchan, I really don't see why you're asking these questions."

"Holy shit, that's it. I'm coming over after your shift and I will clean your house."

I sighed in defeat knowing he wouldn't let it go.

"I feel like I'm missing something?" Denki commented as he watched our interaction.

"Me too Sparky," I turned and Shinso raised an eyebrow at me.

"This idiot barely uses any of the rooms in his apartment so everything is just collecting dust. When I went there after the Sports Festival, it was the first time in years and it showed," he said glaring at me.

"I'm a very busy person. Why would I clean areas that no one uses?"

"Because it's not healthy! Not only that but your room is a fucking junk yard!" I feigned hurt at his remark.

"Excuse me?! Those are not junk! They're just... failed and or unfinished inventions?" I smile uneasily at his glare.

"Whoa! I want to see your room! It's probably like some evil scientist's lair!" Denki bounced in his spot, probably comparing my room to some huge spy headquarters.

"I wouldn't mind seeing where you live either. I mean, you basically moved in for a week and I just found out you live in an apartment," Hitoshi added.

"It's really nothing special," I mumbled nervously.

"Maybe it would be good to have other people in your house," Kacchan nudged me and raised an eyebrow.

I sighed, finally caving. "Fine, be there around 9 so that someone has their precious time to clean."
__________
I walked home after my shift. It was 7 when I got off and I had just witnessed Shota on the bridge of a breakdown after I told him I would be off the rest of the break. Luckily, I calmed him down after telling him I'd make it at camp.

Now for the real problem. How am I going to explain my living situation to my friends?

"Problem child."

I turned to the side as I saw Shota jump off a building. I noticed he was following me when I left the cafe but didn't care enough to call him out.

"Hey there Shota, already missing my coffee?" I chuckled.

"Ha ha. I was just wondering what's on your mind. You look deep in thought and it's not good to not pay attention to your surroundings while walking home."

"I was just thinking about what I'm going to say to you son and Denki when they come over," I sighed. No point in making up lies. Hitoshi will probably tell him he came over anyway.

"What do you mean? Are you nervous about them meeting your family?" He raised an eyebrow. Smooth Shota, smooth.

"Yeah," an amused smile crawled onto my lips as I saw his eyebrows shoot up from me agreeing.

"Why?"

"So many questions. Every time we talk I feel like you're interrogating me or pleading for coffee."

"Problem child," I look at him, slightly shocked from the serious tone he suddenly used.

"Shota."

"Would you like me to walk you home? I remember you saying you live pretty far."

"Eh, sure I guess. We just have to be there before 8."

"Why's that?"

"That's when Kacchan's coming over."

"Hiotshi told me it was 9."

"Yeah, that's when he's coming over," I started walking again and soon he was by my side. We walked in a bit of a silence for a bit before I broke it.

"The class is going to the mall tomorrow, did Toshi tell you that?" I kept my gaze forward as I tried to start a conversation.

"Yeah, he asked for some money since he refuses to get a job," he sighed.

"How much did you give him?" I tilted my head towards him curiously.

"100 I think."

I nearly tripped over my own feet hearing him say that so casually.

"You ok problem child?"

"You gave him $100?! To go to the mall?! With his class?!" He nodded along to all my questions as I began to sputter out random incomplete sentences.

"What's wrong?"

"What's wrong? What's wrong?! You just hand over $100 to go to the mall! I could buy groceries for a month with that! And you just gave it to him for THE MALL?!"

"Calm down problem child, it's not that much," he scrunched his eyebrows at my shocked face as I ran my hands through my hair.

"You just keep $100 laying around for him to spend?" I ask skeptically.

"Uhm, I wouldn't say that..."

"Jeeeez," there was a short silence between us until I broke it again. "So, if you adopted me, would you give me $100 whenever I ask?"

"No."