Chapter 33

Few Days Later

" This sucks. I can't keep falling asleep in class. I already have to go to summer school, I don't want to fail the 10th grade. My birthday already falls weirdly in the middle of school semester, I don't want to be the oldest student ever to graduate." Adrienne complained

It was passed midnight and Adrienne was on Facetime with Derek whining about not being able to sleep. The only time she got some rest was during lunch or immediately after school when she was able to be all up on  Derek.

" Have you tried wearing my shirt?" Derek asked sweetly as he rubbed his eyes. He too wasn't getting a good night's rest at night but at least he slept. Adrienne on the other hand had a serious case of insomnia.

" I'm wearing it now. Maybe I'm hungry." Adrienne thought.

Adrienne's eating habits were getting slightly better. Slightly better meaning she eats but nothing that's good for her daily health. Her obsession for anything made with potatoes was still prevalent but she was obsessed with pickles, hot cheetos, and cheeseburgers. To balance out her eating habits, she drank smoothies all the time with fruits, vegetables and added minerals. Anything else she refused to eat.

" I want a cheeseburger."

" Its almost 1 o'clock in the morning Luv. Just relax and stop talking. You'll be sleep before you know it."

A few moments past and Adrienne couldn't help but to want to talk to Derek." Baby, I love You" she said.

" I love you too, now shh go to sleep." He shushed. A few moments later Derek opened his eyes to see Adrienne looking at him through the screen. He sighed and sat up in bed.

" Where you want yo Cheeseburger from? Mcdonald's and Wendy's open till 2."

"Wendy's. Thanks baby."

" Mhmm. I'll text your mom and see if she want anything. You know she woke too."  He said getting up out the bed to put some clothes on.

He was right, Diane was usually up as well with her off sleeping pattern. She would go to bed with the kids then wake up a couple hours later. The only reason they know this was because Adrienne tried to sneak Derek in one night when she was having a bad night just for them to get caught. Even though Diane scolded Adrienne she was too tired to do anything more. She allowed Derek to sit on the couch with Adrienne until she fell asleep. Derek and Diane were able to have a conversation about respect and boundaries and Derek also apologized for his role in having Adrienne leave home and going to court. He really was only trying to protect Adrienne and with him dealing with his past with abuse his judgement was clouded.

" She said okay but that we can't keep doing this and for you come downstairs. Ooh and while you down there ask her about the weekend in the mountains with Emery and them."

" You ask her since you all buddy buddy with her." Adrienne said with a eye roll as she got up to.

" Aye stop that. She's putting forth effort to be involved in your life. You should do so too instead of shutting her out every time things don't go your way." Derek fussed as he picked up the phone and grabbed his keys.

" It's not that I haven't. It's just these secrets she's keeping from me. Were suppose to do these sharing exercises where we talk about a point in our life when we were happy, sad, blah blah blah. She shuts down everytime, she's always talking around me like she's avoiding something." Adrienne explained.

" Maybe something traumatic happened to her."

" Yeah my father. Now I get why she didn't want me to see him but she doesn't have to worry about him anymore. What more can she tell me?" Before Derek could answer she cut him off "I'll see you when you get here."