Chapter 49

Chapter 49

" Nobody told you to come in here acting a fool. Now I outta beat yo behind for coming up in this hospital like this." Diane scolded.

These kids were working her nerve. The funny thing is they weren't even her kids. Emery, James, Kevin, Tyler and Ashley stood before her huffing and puffing. With school almost to a close, school events are taking place, allowing them to leave school early. had showed up to see about Adrienne with get well cards and stuffed animals to try to cheer her up. Ashley was not invited to come but it just so happened that they all showed up at the same time. When Emery said on sight she meant that but James wasn't going to let that happen. For some odd reason the boys were beefing with each other and have been since they went to check on Derek the other day. It could be the uncomfortable tensions that the case is putting on everybody.

"You know better," Diane said as she pointed at Emery. Diane practically helped raise Emery with them living next door to each other. Diane can remember the days when she would get a call from Emery's Grandmother while she was at work to go pick up Emery and Adrienne from school for getting in trouble with her teachers. Adrienne was always the one with the hot head and snappy attitude while Emery was the quiet one. However, Diane found out early to not let that innocence fool her. Emery could be just as bad if not worse, but she despised getting in trouble, especially with Diane.

" I was just..."

" Un Un. You know better, Emery. I don't have time for excuses nor do I care right now. You're in a hospital, if they didn't call me you could have been put out or arrested. Do you not understand that, there are a lot of sick people, families, and professionals who do not need to be hearing all this racket. Control yourself and I mean right now. " Almost immediately the water works began but it didn't faze Diane not one bit.

Diane then turned to the boys. " I don't know y'all like that so I can't threaten to put my foot up your ass but I'll find someone who can if you don't get yourself together. If y'all have something to get off your chest you do that somewhere else, hell I even give you the keys to my house for all I care but coming in here is a no. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes mam."

" I'm sorry"

Diane turned to Ashley. "What are you doing here, I thought my husband told you to not come around until we get things sorted out."

Ashley slowly got closer to Diane. " Yes I know, I don't want any trouble but I went to Chloe's house the other day and I found this. I know it's Adrienne's so I thought it might help you guys get a search warrant."

Ashley took out a plastic ziplock bag out of her purse and handed it to Diane. It was the necklace Diane had given her at the beginning of the school year.

" How did you get this?"

" Well, my parents have been arguing with each other about this. They've been trying to get a hold of my Aunt Clara these past couple of days and Chloe hasn't been in school so I decided to take matters in my own hands and went to her house and found this on her dresser. If I remember correctly Adrienne was wearing it at the party and she wasn't when she left."

" She never takes it off" Emery sniffed, as she dried her eyes. She still wanted to beat Ashley's ass but she's giving her pass for now.

Diane looked at the necklace and sighed. " Thank you for bringing this."

" Of course. I'm telling you the truth when I say I had nothing to do with this. If I see my aunt Clara or Chloe, I will call Mr. Owen's team immediately."

" I really appreciate this, but you shouldn't be here. If you're really not involved don't put yourself in the line of fire, sweetie. I don't trust Dan, Shuga, or your momma so please forgive me for being direct with you" Diane said honestly. The pounding headache she woke up with was a nuisance. She'll give anything for a nap, if only she could sleep.