Chapter 50

Derek

There's nothing but white walls and plane décor.

They want me to tell them how I feel, but how can I say anything other than empty.

Emptiness is what I see.

Everyday I open my eyes to see color, something other than neutral colors and a splash of green.

I'm not crazy...

Well maybe little, but I'm only crazy about the people I care for.

No one here can seem to understand that I'm not crazy, that I don't belong here.

Sure, maybe I didn't take my mother's murder well. Drinking and getting arrested was not good, but get me therapy.

Don't leave me in a mental institution.

" How are you doing today, Mr. Jackson?"

Derek shifted in his seat, not wanting to talk to one of the many counselors on staff. One thing is for sure that he desperately wanted to get out of here.

" Don't call me that." Derek mumbled. He didn't like the formalities.

"Okay, How about DJ? You're a Junior right?" The counselor looked in his file as if he was checking to see what his name was.

Derek scoffed, frowning at the man. "You know my name." Derek thought to himself.

" I go by Derek. Just Derek."

"Derek, my apologies." He apologized. " How are you, Derek? Let's talk. You know the more you don't say the more likely you stay longer. Let's think about that as we move forward. We are only trying to help."

"I just want to see my girlfriend. That's it. That's what you can do to help me." Derek said simply.

All he wanted to do was lay eyes on Adrienne to make sure she was okay. Things did not end well the last time they saw each other. He's hoping that when he does see her, he could explain his actions, and promise to see a therapist weekly. He hoped she could forgive him and him to be there for her and for the baby.

" Your girlfriend? Her name is Adrienne right?"  Derek wondered how he knew her name. " I spoke to your father. He tells me you two spend a lot of time together. Possibly the root of your anger."

Derek furrowed his brows. He didn't like the fact his father was prejudging her. He never met her. If he did he would see that Adrienne is truly the love of his life. Yes, Adrienne is going through a lot of pain, but as her man he wanted to fight for her. It's not like his father did the same for his mom...or Derek, who unfortunately couldn't.

" She's not the cause of my anger. Adrienne is the sweetest girl I know. She's innocent and loving...All I want to do is protect her and love her like she deserves." Derek explained.