Chapter 58

Sorry if its short. Excuse mistakes

" Now you decide to show up?" Diane mumbled as she saw her mother, Elbernita and her father, Frank walking into the facility, that Max's body was being held. " I called you hours ago."

Jason was at her side waiting with her. Even though a shooting was reported at the cabins the Daniels own, Jason trusted that his team could handle it as he helped sort out things with Diane.

" We came as fast as we could. We had to shut down the diner. "Her mother rushed out.

" Diane..." Frank started but Diane immediately cut him off. Her emotions were reeling from the back to back news. She had yet to explain to her mother how Max attacked her family let alone that Max was found dead in her cell that morning.

" There's a lot to discuss before going in. I'm sure you two want to know what's going on so you guys can go on with your lives..."

" Diane..." Elbernita tried to interrupt with a warning laced in her voice. Yet again Diane continued talking, her attitude prominent in every syllable she spoke.

" I'm trying to explain to you what's going on if you would let me..." She became frustrated as she blurted out the inevitable. " Max is dead."

Jason's hands found Diane's waist as he moved behind her. He pulled her close as he watched Elbernita's and Frank's face change. Frank immediately began to cry as he sat himself down in a share. Elbernita however stood there in disbelief. Although there were tears in her eyes, her astonishment didn't seem like she was surprised her daughter was dead but that it happened so soon.

" What happened?" She said barely above a whisper. " Why was she here?"

Diane stared at her mother not knowing where to begin. She did all that talking in the beginning and now she didn't know what to say. How can you put into words that the sister you just met killed your grandchild?

" She killed our grandbaby." Jason spoke for her. " Listen, our lawyers can explain everything to you. The facility would like for one of you to identify her body and her belongings."

"That's it?" Frank protested as he stood to his feet. " Max is dead and she was under your care. How on earth does she supposedly kill a baby? Max wouldn't hurt a fly." Elbernita held Frank back as she tried to calm him down.

" Under my care? That girl was 19 years old, she didn't need me to take care of her. If you were so pressed about her whereabouts, why didn't y'all come down here to get her? It's not like you didn't know where I was. We called and called, so this is on you. I have my own shit going on, this did not need to be added." Diane fussed as her anger began to boil. " You didn't even have the decency to tell me who she was."

Elbernita took in Diane's words. She was right, she should have said something, but Diane had just come back into her life. She had already sprung on the fact that Frank was her father. Elbernita did not know how to deal with Maxine's illness but she did all she could to protect her when she showed up on her doorstep. She always felt that something was off with her so when she asked Maxine about it, Maxine was honest about it and let her know that she was on medication for a mental disorder.

Frank on the other hand was oblivious and was noticeably upset. " You have to see how crazy this seems." He argued.

" Just as crazy as the day you rose from the dead." Diane gritted through her teeth with pure disgust. She looked at her mother one last time before walking off angrily.

No one dared to stop her, not even Jason. She had every right to be upset. The unnecessary drama consumed her life as she waited to be spit back out to reality. A reality where it's just her and her family living in bliss. Unfortunately that reality doesn't exist.