Chapter 43

Somehow I was able to write at work. Whatever prayers yall praying to get me to write, keep praying it lol.  Hope you all enjoy!

Derek ( 2 Days before)

Derek was just walking into his home after a long night of boxing matches. Glady he only had an exam review to go over in school that day. He swiftly moved around his home as he dropped his gym bag by the couch then headed his way toward the kitchen. He definitely was not going to be able to make it to school as his tired body aches.

He took out his phone to call Adrienne like every morning, she would be expecting him to be at her locker before school started if he didn't pick her up. Seeing that his phone was dead, he immediately plugged his phone to a charger and placed it on the kitchen counter.

He began to think of who he could trust to watch over Adrienne so he could catch up on some much needed sleep. Honestly, he could trust no one. No matter how cool he was with his boys, none of them could protect Adrienne like he could. He already left her alone once before he wasn't going to do it again.

Derek took a moment before checking his phone. There were a couple messages from Adrienne apologizing for what happened at lunch yesterday and a Good Morning message from her asking him if they could talk. There were also missed calls from Carrie, his mother and a voice message. Before he could reply back to Adrienne and listen to his mother's voice message, there was a knock on the door.

Derek groaned as he made his way to the door. He was not in the mood for foolishness. All he wanted to do was lay up with Adrienne if they both could get out of going to school.

He opened his door with a slight attitude. His face softened when he saw his father. "What's up dad? Didn't I just leave you?"

Derek's relationship with his father was hit or miss all his life. As of lately, it's been a hit as they bond over boxing. Plus it seems like his father takes every opportunity to defend Derek against Uncle Harry, who has an unshaken opinion about Adrienne and her situation. As long as Derek can remember, his father always went with whatever Uncle Harry said. Grant it, Harry was older and he and his father have been bestfriends since they were kids however, Derek felt like it was about time his father grew some balls.

" yeah I know, I need to talk to you son." Derek sr said as he walked into the condo. " Here's your cut for last night." He starts handing Derek an envelope. "It was a solid fight but..."

" Dad, if you try to talk about a game plan with me, it will have to wait for a few minutes. I have to check on my girl, and look at all these messages Carrie... You know I've been thinking about talking to her again. I mean I sent her a message a few days ago to make amends"

" That's what I want to talk about, son." Derek Sr. cut him off. " I'm not here to talk about boxing at all.. I just.. uh have a seat, son. Please."

His father's demeanor worried Derek, so he immediately went to sit down to give his father his undivided attention.

"I got several calls last night from your mother and I'm sure you did too. It wasn't like I wasn't going to call back. I was going to..."

" Dad, what's going on? She needs money for rehab or something? If so I think it would be good if we bring her down here this time. Maybe it would work."

" She's dead jr."

Hearing this the wind was knocked out of Derek's body as if he was punched by a southpaw. He couldn't say anything as he looked at his father, whose eyes were welled up with tears.

" I got a call from the police down in florida. They said that Melvin called 911 and said Carrie was dead and gunshots were heard. When they got there..." Derek's Sr's voice broke as recalled the phone call he received on his way home.