Chapter 3

School is my only chance to be a regular teen. I could finally do what I loved to do and that was playing volleyball. It gave me a chance to bond with my dad when my dad was around. My father was the champion in every sport he played in his prime. He played sports like baseball, basketball, track and field, football and of course volleyball. Volleyball was our sport and he taught me everything I know.

At the moment I was trying to secure my spot on the team during tryouts. Coach Sticker always made each player retry-out in the beginning on the season. There have been times where former players don't come back on the team, because they think their spot would never be taken. Thats why I give it my all every time.

"Come on girls! Get your head in the game!" Coach Sticker said.

" Okay Adrienne you can do this." I thought to myself.

I could see my friend Emery in the stands cheering for me like she always did. Her encouragement does give me the boost I need.

While hearing the sound of a whistle my heart started pounding. The ball was coming towards me. Immediately I got in position, then spiked the ball over the net. Yes! Point for my side of the team.

"Good arm Scott" the couch complemented proudly. In that moment I began to relax and the rest of the tryouts went smoothly.

Until my hated enemy tried to block me. Chloe Daniels, the popular junior at cline high school, could get anything she wanted. I guess she has a way of words that drives men crazy. Even me little brothers like her. I really can't stand her. She thinks she's all that because of all the attention she gets.

To think I thought she was my friend in kindergarten.

"Man look at that chick" I can hear the guys say look at her up and down. Even the male teachers take a peek.

I get attention from time to time, but whenever Chloe was around the attention automatically goes to her.

A loud whistle crushed my thoughts.

"Alright girls! That's it for the day. They'll will be a sheet on the gym door first thing tomorrow morning to see who made the cut."

As I bent over to catch my breath, somebody walked up to me wearing the latest j's. I looked up to see a tall bright colored handsome guy stand before me with a bottle of water in his hand.

"Hi " he greeted.

I was so lost looking at his muscular body I forgot to respond. He handed me the water. "I just thought you might needed some water." he explained.

His voice was sultry and sounded so velvety. Wait, is velvety even word. Well that was the only way I can describe is rich, sexy voice.

"Adrienne snap out of it" I thought to myself.

"Thanks" I said after a while.

He smiled and said "you're welcome"

I began to blush at his bright, delicious looking smile.

"Derek" Chloe called from behind us. He rushed to her and grabbed her gym bag that was dangling from her fingers.

" Noo come back to me"

Emery came up walking to me blocking my view of the muscular devil.

"Hey you did well." She said.

"Who's that?" I asked not paying attention to her.

"Who? Him?"

I nodded in response.

" Oh that's Derek Jackson. The new guy I was telling you about. He just moved here from San Francisco. I can see Chloe got a hold of him. What a whore. Didn't she get caught with a boy yesterday?"

"Yep she did alright but as you can see Principle Collins didn't do anything about it." I said as I roller my eyes.

" whore behavior is not cute" Emery stated in disgust.

Emery walked me home and the whole walk home, we talked about how cute Derek was. Well it was mostly me.Which is very surprising. I've never talked about a guy like this in so long. It almost seems surreal. The image of his smile was stained to my face.

When I got home, I saw my father's car outside of it. My happiness began to grow at the thought of getting to see my dad today.

I quickly said bye to Emery and ran up my drive way.

I went inside and all I heard was yelling. I really didn't care. All wanted is to see my dad.

I barged in the living room not really caring what I had interrupted.

"Hey dad" I greeted, hugging him.

"Hey baby girl" he said faintly.

I noticed that I didn't acknowledge my mother. I didn't care, I was happy to see my dad. I see my annoying mother every day. I get to fuss and fight with her and have that toxic mother and daughter relationship with her. I don't get that with my dad. I don't get to see my dad as often we should but that's because of his job.

Ever since he got the job when I was five, he came over less and less. I'm not really know what his job is but I do know it keeps him busy.Sometimes I receive letters from him from different states.

" I tried out for volleyball today" I told him.

"Well that's great sweetie." He said looking at his watch.

"Ooh, I got to go pumpkin but call me when you get in" he said heading towards the door.

" But I just got here" I said softly, a little disappointed.

He went out the door before letting me say goodbye. He always does that. I wish I had a real relationship with my dad. But my mom always drives him away with her nagging.

" I'm about to head out too. There's left overs in the fridge. Jace is upstairs taking a nap. Your brother and sister are upstairs playing. Do not let anybody in this house. You understand me? "

My mood completely sunken, I simply nodded my head.

When can I ever catch a break?